Paul's Here

Spell Checking Others' Posts

5 posts in this topic

When I use spell check for various posts, I sometimes come across misspellings in the posts of others whose posts are in the Reply Quote box. Is it proper to correct the spelling of someone else's post, or should I leave it as is? I currently leave it as is and only correct my posts.

Thanks.

I would just leave it as is, unless of course you ask the originator and they agree to the change. Even with a misspelled word I can usually understand what the person is trying to say, so I just over-look it.

Ordinarily, I would leave the error in the quotation. If I did decide to fix a mistake for clarity, I would make it clear that I had changed the text, probably by using square brackets to indicate my fixes, and then adding a short footnote saying that I had fixed things. (This is analogous to emboldening words in quoted material; he who does this should point out what he has done.)

If I saw an error and wanted to draw attention to it, I'd probably use the [sic] notation, meaning "this is as it is in the original." I might do this if I thought the error could be misleading to the reader - in effect, saying "be careful how you read this; there's a mistake."

I think it would be wrong to edit another's quoted posting without indicating that I had done so, since I would be attributing to him something that he hadn't actually written.

When I use spell check for various posts, I sometimes come across misspellings in the posts of others whose posts are in the Reply Quote box. Is it proper to correct the spelling of someone else's post, or should I leave it as is? I currently leave it as is and only correct my posts.

I've sometimes corrected the original post when it seems an obvious typo that distracts from the flow of the discussion, but most of the time I just let it be. A few times (not on THE FORUM), when dealing with a characteristically intellectually sloppy opponent, I highlight the errors in his post with "(sic)" wherever appropriate. :(

I almost always correct typos, and at times even punctuation errors, but only if I am absolutely sure it is a mistake. I take the side of caution with punctuation--but most people do not know how to punctuate (I'm a professional editor).