Betsy Speicher

Building Restrictions Violate Property Rights

6 posts in this topic

The following letter was sent to the Los Angeles Times on July 24, 2007.

Building Restrictions Violate Property Rights

Re: "Leveling restrictions on McMansions" (July 23, 2007)

Cities and counties have no moral right--and should have no legal right--to limit the size and height of their residents' homes.

A person's esthetic preferences--in favor of small houses, for example--do not justify trampling on the property rights of his neighbor.

Individuals should be free to build their homes as they see fit. Forcing property owners to limit construction in their own land is a violation of their rights. If neighbors don't like what they see, they are free to move elsewhere--or to look the other way.

David Holcberg

Copyright © 2007 Ayn Rand® Institute. All rights reserved.

Betsy, how many of David's letters are being printed?

I try to report when they are published and where. When they are submitted to a particular publication, I do an independent check to see if they were printed.

Slightly related situation is happening here in Las Vegas. A local business owner has an American Flag on his property that in the wind makes a "large snapping noise." The local homeowners have taken him to court to get him to take it down as it "annoys" them. The business owner is fighting from the wrong premise so I think he is going to lose. Until these type of people fight from a prinicpled attack they will keep losing most of their battles.

Until these type of people fight from a prinicpled attack they will keep losing most of their battles.

I've thought for some time, and briefly mentioned it here once, that there could be a business that simply used rational ideas to actively defend businesses against various smears using targeted advertising and consultation on the real issues with the top executives. Sort of a combination rational PR and management consultancy.

Until these type of people fight from a prinicpled attack they will keep losing most of their battles.

I've thought for some time, and briefly mentioned it here once, that there could be a business that simply used rational ideas to actively defend businesses against various smears using targeted advertising and consultation on the real issues with the top executives. Sort of a combination rational PR and management consultancy.

I agree that your idea is a good one. I just wonder if there is a market for it or business executives that would understand your companies principles. I have met many business executives that state one thing (positive), then go and vote for their competition to be eliminated by law.