Betsy Speicher

Stephen Speicher's Library for Sale

10 posts in this topic

My late husband Stephen Speicher loved books and his personal library included literally thousands of carefully chosen and dearly loved volumes of all kinds. I'm keeping most of his non-technical books but he wanted me to place his books on mathematics, physics, and engineering with people who would appreciate them and use them as he did. I have listed many of Stephen's books on Amazon and, so far, have sold about a hundred of them. Judging by the shipping addresses, most have gone to university and corporate libraries, college professors, and working scientists and engineers.

I currently have about 300 of Stephen's books listed on Amazon and will be adding more. Most are rare and expensive volumes of very specialized interest, but there are some less expensive items too. Stephen used many textbooks and reference books in college at Columbia and Caltech which are common, obsolete, and not worth very much to most people. I have listed these as well as some of Stephen's science fiction paperbacks for $9.95 each for his friends who would like one or more to remember Stephen by.

All proceeds from the sale of Stephen's books will be donated to the Speicher Foundation, a non-profit organization that pays for the web-hosting and software for THE FORUM, preserves and advances Stephen's work in physics, and promotes Objectivism by contributions to the ARI Books Project and other educational programs.

To see the books currently listed, click here.

There are come classics in the collection on amazon but most are older (and often out of date) text books that appear to be from the early part of his carreer, mostly in structural engineering. What happened to the books on relativity, quantum mechanics, computational biology and history and philosophy of math and physics?

There are come classics in the collection on amazon but most are older (and often out of date) text books that appear to be from the early part of his carreer, mostly in structural engineering. What happened to the books on relativity, quantum mechanics, computational biology and history and philosophy of math and physics?

Those are in the bookshelves in his office now and I promised some of Stephen's friends and colleagues first choice from that collection. After they have selected what they want, I will probably list the rest for sale. There are also some I am keeping for sentimental reasons including signed volumes with personal messages to Stephen in them.

Those are in the bookshelves in his office now and I promised some of Stephen's friends and colleagues first choice from that collection. After they have selected what they want, I will probably list the rest for sale. There are also some I am keeping for sentimental reasons including signed volumes with personal messages to Stephen in them.

Could you at least post the titles and authors? I don't want to be a vulture over his library by any means; my first thought is that I wish he were still here. One of the things I had hoped to talk to him about and see first hand is the books he had. Since the library is not actually available it would be nice to at least see what was in it in the form of a list. It would have been nice to have a few that had been his, but the actual books are mostly available elsewhere if they can be identified, especially for certain topics we had a common interest in.

Could you at least post the titles and authors? I don't want to be a vulture over his library by any means; my first thought is that I wish he were still here. One of the things I had hoped to talk to him about and see first hand is the books he had.

I know. It took me several days to list the 400 or so books on Amazon, so that would take quite a while. I just went into Stephen's office with my digital camera intending to take pictures of the books on the shelves but it took me twenty minutes to shoot all the books in the small bookcase. Then there are all the ones in the big bookcase and the dozens of books on his desk that he was working with.

I really ought to inventory them all, and I have decided to make that my next Speicher Foundation project. I have some wonderful software to do it with and it can make beautiful web pages from Stephen's collection with very little effort. Stay tuned. :P

I really ought to inventory them all, and I have decided to make that my next Speicher Foundation project. I have some wonderful software to do it with and it can make beautiful web pages from Stephen's collection with very little effort. Stay tuned. :D
Betsy, that sounds terrific. I can't wait. :P

...I really ought to inventory them all, and I have decided to make that my next Speicher Foundation project. I have some wonderful software to do it with and it can make beautiful web pages from Stephen's collection with very little effort...

What software? I have been considering using usoft Access for a database of my library, but that doesn't include any kind of web display that you need.

...I really ought to inventory them all, and I have decided to make that my next Speicher Foundation project. I have some wonderful software to do it with and it can make beautiful web pages from Stephen's collection with very little effort...

What software? I have been considering using usoft Access for a database of my library, but that doesn't include any kind of web display that you need.

I use MediaMan available here.

All you do is enter an ISBN (or a batch of them) or a description and the program picks up all the details from Amazon or from manual input. It's very slick and powerful.

Could you at least post the titles and authors? I don't want to be a vulture over his library by any means; my first thought is that I wish he were still here. One of the things I had hoped to talk to him about and see first hand is the books he had.

I know. It took me several days to list the 400 or so books on Amazon, so that would take quite a while. I just went into Stephen's office with my digital camera intending to take pictures of the books on the shelves but it took me twenty minutes to shoot all the books in the small bookcase. Then there are all the ones in the big bookcase and the dozens of books on his desk that he was working with.

I really ought to inventory them all, and I have decided to make that my next Speicher Foundation project. I have some wonderful software to do it with and it can make beautiful web pages from Stephen's collection with very little effort. Stay tuned. :)

What happened to the project inventorying and posting the books on the Forum?

What happened to the project inventorying and posting the books on the Forum?

It is on my "to do" list. Unfortunately, that and other important projects (like my book) have lately been a lower priority than political activism.