Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Famous Pikes Peak Short Film

15 posts in this topic

is an award-winnning short film of Ari Vatanen's 1988 record-breaking climb up Pikes Peak. (BTW: The view from the top of this mountain is said to have inspired Bates' American the Beautiful.)

That was fun, :D and that guy was crazy! :P

I have to admire the driver's courage and self-confidence, especially on the dirt road of Pike's Peak; there aren't many other races where the price of making a mistake is plunging thousands of feet to your death. But he's still nuts. :P

In case it needs to be said: The risks taken by Vatanen aren't orders of magnitude above the risks involved in the typical dirt road hill-climb or rally. (At times, World Rally Championship footage looks like it's CGI generated.)

Not that the following numbers prove much, but:

According to this article, there were four deaths associated with the Pikes Peak Hillclimb by 2005.

Wikipedia claims their were 63 deaths associated with the Indianapolis 500.

(The I500 has been running for 11 years more than the Climb.)

I couldn't find numbers for the WRC.

It took me a while, but I finally got around to doing something with the video I shot at the 2008 running of the hill climb. Yeah, yeah, I know it doesn't match the the one in the original post for excitement. Whaddya want for nothing? Anyway, enjoy.

Ummm, disregard the previous post until I figure out how to make available for all. Sorry for the inconvenience.

is an award-winnning short film of Ari Vatanen's 1988 record-breaking climb up Pikes Peak. (BTW: The view from the top of this mountain is said to have inspired Bates' American the Beautiful.)

Bates stood at what is now called Inspiration Point which is 11,000 feet m.s.l.. It is a intermediate stop on the cog railway that runs up the mountain. The view from the top is even better. On a very clear day one can just make out the curvature of the earth. The best way to get to the top is on foot up the Barr Trail which gives one the chance to ascend 7700 feet vertical from the base of the mountain at Manitou Springs.

Bob Kolker

Okay, problem solved. And now back to the originally scheduled video.

Hey, I loved that!! What a rag tag collection of vehicles that was. Oh, and excellent video fade out at the end. Very clever.

Mcvideo, thanks for letting us view your video. I still agree with my original statements and would like to add that it seems that most of the drivers and spectators are NUTS in your video as well. Most of the drivers barely seem to have control of their cars and some of the spectators are right on the edge of the road.

Mcvideo, thanks for letting us view your video. I still agree with my original statements and would like to add that it seems that most of the drivers and spectators are NUTS in your video as well. Most of the drivers barely seem to have control of their cars and some of the spectators are right on the edge of the road.

Yes great video, but those spectators must have a death wish. I wonder if that one fellow knew he only had three tires.

Yes great video, but those spectators must have a death wish. I wonder if that one fellow knew he only had three tires.

Thanks all. The one driver might not have known about his three tires, but he may have wondered why he was having to rev so high!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0