Betsy Speicher

Captain Planet and the Planeteers (1990-1996)

Rate this TV show   9 votes

1. 1. Rate this TV show

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

I watch one show of this when it was on TV and thought that it was the equivalent of communist propaganda. Never watched it again.

As a youngin, I was attracted to the idea of superpower rings; I admit I watched way too many Captain Planets as a kid.

What funny is how evil the portrayed business and advanced society. All business-men were ridiculously evil (literally super-villains) cutting down the rainforest, spilling oil, and killing dolphins, all for the sake of money.

The whole scope of this show can be shown in its intro:

This show possibly has the worst politics and philosophy as any show in the nineties, the fact that it was a kids show makes it more despicable.

This show possibly has the worst politics and philosophy as any show in the nineties, the fact that it was a kids show makes it more despicable.

"Give me a child for his first six years and you may do what you like with him later." -- Famous quote (from memory) from the Jesuits, the educational/propaganda arm of the Catholic Church.

I gave it a 2 because, though it is really, really bad, it is not nihilistic. Within the distorted framework of environmentalism, the protagonists pursue and achieve values.

I gave it a 2 because, though it is really, really bad, it is not nihilistic. Within the distorted framework of environmentalism, the protagonists pursue and achieve values.

If it were nihilistic it never would have aired, which would have been a good thing for children everywhere. Since the stories give the pretense of pursuing values, the writers were able to smuggle in all sorts of terrible propaganda. I give it a 0.

By the way, I did watch it when I was a kid (I was right at that age, 11 when it started). I didn't really take any of it too seriously (or I probably wouldn't have been receptive to Ayn Rand later) but I didn't reject the ideas either.