Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thoyd Loki

Wheel of Time

5 posts in this topic

I love long, epic fantasy series if they have some value. I've been flirting with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series for awhile, but it is a long commitment. Anybody read these? Thoughts? I'm not so concerned with the philosophy explicit or implicit, but with characters that I can feel for in a plot structure. I've tried a lot of these kinds of books and I usually can say nothing more than to quote Jerry Garcia "That was a strange trip man." That's not worth my time!

Personally I think the quality of the work started to go downhill around the fourth book of the series - but at that point I was "invested" enough in the characters that I wanted to see where the author would take them. It only started to get really bad around book 7-8 or so, but so far I have managed to read all of them. The last entry managed to get teh plot moving again and tie up a few things that have been left hanging for a long, long time - and hopefully Jordan will be able to give the series a satisfying finale - even if it does not measure up to the begining.

My recomendation is read the Eye of the World (book 1), it stands for itself and is very good. Whether you go on from there, that is another decision :P

I agree with mrocktor, the series got off to an excellent start but started going downhill after about the 4th or 5th book. I gave up around then. Unfortunately I understand that Robert Jordan is very ill and will not likely live long enough to finish this series. You might want to check into that yourself, though, before starting.

I've read the series, and while I found parts entertaining it was a chore most of the time. The author develops so many threads of the story that it can be distracting constantly being thrown from one plot to the next. Also, I found very few of the characters to be likeable. Of all the female characters only 3 are not constantly trying to manipulate the men or calling them stubborn mules (or whatever term they used, I can't remember). One of those females was a villain! I got tired of the constant war of the sexes early on.

To the series' credit, it is epic in scope and detail, and the characters are deep (if not particularly great). However, it tests your patience and as BrianReich says it's possible the series will not be finished.

It seems the Wheel of Time series will not be finished by Jordan , As he passed away.

http://www.dragonmount.com/

However, it seems that he already outlined the plot lines for his last books, and had extensive notes, so it may yet be finished...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0