Stephen Speicher

Frequency (2000)

Rate this movie   10 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

I'd like to offer a review of this film, which I wrote several years ago. I do so b/c those who haven't seen the movie may be misled by the synopsis on the video box. I'd also like to put those who do decide to see the film on the right frequency before they view it, so they can fully enjoy the film. (I had to watch it twice before I got tuned in.)

FREQUENCY SENDS THE RIGHT SIGNALS

Reviewed by Steven Brockerman

© 2000

The film is a metaphor for the estrangement that has grown between a father and son. It is poetically directed, brilliantly edited, subtly written and competently acted. The dialogue sparkles; and everyone is a hero in this film, to some degree, except, of course, the villain.

The plot, briefly, is about a son from the present speaking to his dad in the past via a ham radio and some helpful Aurora Borealis.

Once one realizes, however, that the plot set up is a metaphor, the movie's double track -- vis a vis flashback and present -- reveals the relationship between values and action; between a father's desire for his son to grow up in his own image and that same son's burning desire to break free from his dad's influence. Both are tuned into different "frequencies." Both come to realize, though, that there is a frequency which will reunite them; and by discovering it, the father discovers his pride in what the son has become; and the son attains the self-sufficiency to independently achieve, rather than blindly rebel and, ultimately, to be proud of his dad's heroism, not intimidated by it.

This is a sparkling gem of a film – I am a bit astonished that it was made in our age -- which is a complex layer of subtle implication, deft connotation and understated symbolism. Yet it is neither vague nor ambiguous -- once one is tuned to the correct frequency.

I cannot recommend Frequency highly enough. You will think the 2 bucks for the video rental a laughable price when the film has ended; and when it has ended, you will find yourself wishing that it had not ended so soon.

Frequency is how life should and ought to be – and, many times, is.

$ $ $ $ - Superior

This is a sparkling gem of a film – I am a bit astonished that it was made in our age -- which is a complex layer of subtle implication, deft connotation and understated symbolism.  Yet it is neither vague nor ambiguous -- once one is tuned to the correct frequency.

Steven,

You're not the only one who thinks so. This is a banner that hangs over our fireplace:

post-2-1111992603_thumb.jpg

Betsy wrote

Steven,

You're not the only one who thinks so. This is a banner that hangs over our fireplace:

~~~

Stephen mentioned it. Waaaaaaay cool. :)

I'd never seen the movie marquee. I love it!

"The future is listening."

Perfect - and indeed, in a way, it is.

Thanks, Betsy! :)

Wow! I just finished watching this movie, and it has simply left me beaming. The plot is suberb, and I was on edge waiting for each twist and turn as it unfolded.

Highly recommended! I gave it an 8.

After seeing Frequency and later The Count of Monte Cristo I would have to say that Jim Caviezel is one of the best actors around, very powerful.

Frequency is one of the best films we've seen in a while! About a 1/4 of the way in to the movie I was on the edge of my seat! Unpredictable story!

I'm so glad to be able to see good film rec's here. Thanks! :)