Betsy Speicher

Founders College News

36 posts in this topic

Scott - my comment was based on the content of the article, which does all, objectively, add up to one bleak picture if it's substantially accurate. Of course difficulties are to be expected; but not being able (or willing) to pay bills and employees (that's a very big deal), having a large number of faculty/staff leave, an already tiny student body halved, broken promises, are a very inauspicious start. Actually, I'm surprised and disappointed by the reported extent of the problems. I'd rather be reading that enrollment is increasing and all involved were eagerly looking to the future.

Oh, I know you were, Phil. It would be hard to read that article and not come away with the conclusion you, and no doubt many others, have. And just to make one thing clear, my comments were not at all directed at you or any other member of THE FORUM. Indeed, FORUM members have been wonderfully supportive of Founders and me personally. You can't know how much that is appreciated and serves as great motivation for many at Founders.

Just bear in mind that one news story cannot report the full range of things that have happened, are happening, or will happen. Additionally, I didn't see any quotes from professors who are still with Founders or "new" ones such as myself. It's possible that they were contacted by the paper and refused comment, but I know I never received a call or e-mail.

I obviously can only speak for myself, and it's important to say that I would not be driving well over 1600 miles starting Thursday if I thought Founders was in danger of imminent failure. To be sure, there are problems. But virtually all problems have solutions, and the list of issues in that story have been or are currently being addressed in multiple ways.

Whether or not Founders succeeds is yet to be determined, as was the case a mere four months ago when its doors opened. Everyone I know and am working with at the college are giving their full effort with the specific goal of succeeding.

If anyone on THE FORUM still strongly believes in what the college stands for and is trying to achieve, I would ask you to ask yourself how you might be able to help. It could be as simple as writing Tamara, faculty members, or others at Founders an encouraging e-mail. I know it would be appreciated.

You could do so here or here. Thank you.

My one question is how this was ever going to work if the tuition was going to be over $30,000 a year. That just seems to be way too high of a price to ask someone to pay for an experimental university still in the making that is not yet accredited.

This is very sad news, and I hope it doesn't cast Objectivism or it's associated movement in a bad light.

This is one of the things in the article that isn't accurate. Tuition is not over $30,000. It's much less. When you add room and board it approaches that figure, but does not exceed it. Furthermore, there are a number of scholarship programs that pretty significantly reduce that price. There are also work-study programs that can help, too.

In terms of casting Objectivism in a bad light, contrary to the common understanding, Founders was never meant to be an "Objectivist College," if we understand that term to mean a place run only by Objectivists, with only Objectivist professors, who teach subjects strictly from an Objectivist perspective. Some who are involved are Objectivists, others are not.

I realize that whether this was the intention or not, many, if not most, people see Founders as an Objectivist college. If it fails, no doubt critics will use it as some kind of evidence that Objectivism itself is somehow corrupt, unrealistic, impractical, or whatever.

However, I really think what Founders does NOT need right now is to be treated as some kind of diseased entity that one must avoid, quarantine, disassociate from, or fear. And the suggestion that or question of Founders somehow actually staining Objectivism or casting it in a bad light is very disappointing, as it promotes that kind of a stigma, intentionally or not. Many people are working their tails off to make this place great and successful. They deserve better.

Scott A.,

I wish you all the best continued success at Founders College. I say, so what if it were an explicitly 'Objectivist' college anyhow?-lord knows that that is exactly what the young minds of the USA and the world need now more than ever. Keep up the great work, I know that Founder's will be a growing success.

However, I really think what Founders does NOT need right now is to be treated as some kind of diseased entity that one must avoid, quarantine, disassociate from, or fear. And the suggestion that or question of Founders somehow actually staining Objectivism or casting it in a bad light is very disappointing, as it promotes that kind of a stigma, intentionally or not. Many people are working their tails off to make this place great and successful. They deserve better.

I'm sorry if it sounded that way but it wasn't my intention. I had read this

One thing that has been fascinating, although often in a negative way, is to see what gets put out to the public vs. what I have seen firsthand or learned about through reliable sources. It is almost as though many people, including some Objectivists, want Founders to fail.

and interpreted it to mean some kind of scandal had happened that involved Objectivists, which is why I said what I did.

I also wish you and Founder's College succes :huh:

...driving well over 1600 miles...

Sounds like you are in for a scenic drive across beautiful America! :huh: (I personally love long drives)

Scott A.,

I wish you all the best continued success at Founders College. I say, so what if it were an explicitly 'Objectivist' college anyhow?-lord knows that that is exactly what the young minds of the USA and the world need now more than ever. Keep up the great work, I know that Founder's will be a growing success.

Thank you very much, Erik. I deeply appreciate it.

I'm sorry if it sounded that way but it wasn't my intention. I had read this
One thing that has been fascinating, although often in a negative way, is to see what gets put out to the public vs. what I have seen firsthand or learned about through reliable sources. It is almost as though many people, including some Objectivists, want Founders to fail.

and interpreted it to mean some kind of scandal had happened that involved Objectivists, which is why I said what I did.

I also wish you and Founder's College succes :huh:

Thank you very much, Carlos, both for the well-wishes and clarification of your previous post. I tried to indicate that I wasn't necessarily assuming you intended anything negative through your comment, so I'm hopeful you didn't take what I wrote too personally.

And, yes, it will be very nice to see some parts of America I haven't before, as well as those I have. I don't mind long drives, although the last several hours, especially if they are in the dark, can make one antsy. :huh:

Scott - my comment was based on the content of the article, which does all, objectively, add up to one bleak picture if it's substantially accurate. Of course difficulties are to be expected; but not being able (or willing) to pay bills and employees (that's a very big deal), having a large number of faculty/staff leave, an already tiny student body halved, broken promises, are a very inauspicious start. Actually, I'm surprised and disappointed by the reported extent of the problems. I'd rather be reading that enrollment is increasing and all involved were eagerly looking to the future.

Oh, I know you were, Phil. It would be hard to read that article and not come away with the conclusion you, and no doubt many others, have. And just to make one thing clear, my comments were not at all directed at you or any other member of THE FORUM. Indeed, FORUM members have been wonderfully supportive of Founders and me personally. You can't know how much that is appreciated and serves as great motivation for many at Founders.

Just bear in mind that one news story cannot report the full range of things that have happened, are happening, or will happen. Additionally, I didn't see any quotes from professors who are still with Founders or "new" ones such as myself. It's possible that they were contacted by the paper and refused comment, but I know I never received a call or e-mail.

I obviously can only speak for myself, and it's important to say that I would not be driving well over 1600 miles starting Thursday if I thought Founders was in danger of imminent failure. To be sure, there are problems. But virtually all problems have solutions, and the list of issues in that story have been or are currently being addressed in multiple ways.

Whether or not Founders succeeds is yet to be determined, as was the case a mere four months ago when its doors opened. Everyone I know and am working with at the college are giving their full effort with the specific goal of succeeding.

If anyone on THE FORUM still strongly believes in what the college stands for and is trying to achieve, I would ask you to ask yourself how you might be able to help. It could be as simple as writing Tamara, faculty members, or others at Founders an encouraging e-mail. I know it would be appreciated.

You could do so here or here. Thank you.

Very best wishes to you on your new Founders position. I admit to being surprised upon reading the story, having heard no news -- good or bad -- since the beginning of the school term. I don't think I'm alone in wanting to see the school succeed and hope whatever difficulties (growing pains?) Founders is now facing are resolved.

The best of luck to your endeavors at Founder's College, Scott. I hope you'll find everything you seek from that job, and that things will steadily improve from now on. All nay-saying aside, it would be a wonderful thing if this school can get started in today's U.S. I think it would be a very positive signal, anyway.