Sunzi Bingfa

For attending OAC courses by telephone

6 posts in this topic

For those who have attended the OAC before, how strongly would you recommend that I have a land line set up for attending classes? Is this a must, preferable, or purely a question of personal preference?

For those who have attended the OAC before, how strongly would you recommend that I have a land line set up for attending classes? Is this a must, preferable, or purely a question of personal preference?

I can't speak for them, but I think it's primarily a common-sense issue. On your side, the quality of cell phone reception should be good enough that you shouldn't be straining to hear; and on their side, if sound from your phone is constantly picked up there, it wouldn't make sense to be using it other than in a fixed, quiet location, otherwise you'd have problems with external noise and dropouts. There's also the battery life to consider.

On the voice-over-IP side, I haven't used Skype much but a friend who's a frequent user likes it a lot. I would advise staying away from Vonage.

On the voice-over-IP side, I haven't used Skype much but a friend who's a frequent user likes it a lot. I would advise staying away from Vonage.

I don't have a land line but I started using Skype for business teleconferences and it works just fine. All you need is a computer with a broadband connection, a Skype Out account ($30 a year), and a USB headset. (My Logitec headset cost $40 but you can also get one for $10-$15.)

PhilO and Betsy,

I appreciate your responses. Using Skype sounds like a particularly good option, being low-cost and reliable. I will very likely be at my computer during the classes as it is.

Thank you both,

Steve

I've been using Skype for my last two OAC calls. It's costed about $5.00 per session. I haven't been able to find the $30.00 flat rate Skype Out account yet. However, since I was impressed with Skype I looked into other VoIP. Gizmo might even be cheaper for the per-minute rate.

There have been no problems with quality at all, and I use a $1.00 microphone from the dollar store. I also use the headphones from my mp3 player because speakers will produce feedback.

I've been using Skype for my last two OAC calls. It's costed about $5.00 per session. I haven't been able to find the $30.00 flat rate Skype Out account yet.

Just go here and click on "Skype Unlimited" -- that's what they call Skype Out now. It only costs $3 a month for unlimited calls to North America.

However, since I was impressed with Skype I looked into other VoIP. Gizmo might even be cheaper for the per-minute rate.

I'd be careful about other VOIP services. Few of them are a reliable as Skype which has been around a long time and has millions of users.

There have been no problems with quality at all, and I use a $1.00 microphone from the dollar store. I also use the headphones from my mp3 player because speakers will produce feedback.

I've been pleased with Skype but I know friends who have has problems with other services.