SydneyKendall

3-D Digital Art

6 posts in this topic

I've been developing my skills in 3-D art for about 3 years now, and I've finally won the weekly contest at DAZ 3-D, a website catering to the needs of the 3-D artist.

Winning this contest is not a big deal (although I'm silly with joy over it, anyhow) but it did prompt me to send the winning pic to my friends, which prompted Betsy to suggest posting it here. Hey... YEAH!

Also, I've won a $4.00 gift certificate. Hey, don't sniff! I can get two packages of high quality models or textures for that in the "Platinum Club" at DAZ.

Cheers!

Sydney

(aka "Tallulahdahling" over at DAZ 3-D)

post-182-1191222093.jpg

I've been developing my skills in 3-D art for about 3 years now, and I've finally won the weekly contest at DAZ 3-D, a website catering to the needs of the 3-D artist.

Great work, Sydney, congratulations on acquiring your new skill! I think it's one that will see increasing demand.

Congratulations! That is a fascinating site. I like your creation, too.

Just this last weekend, I started wondering about creations like this and whether they meet the criterion for art. Thoughts?

Just this last weekend, I started wondering about creations like this and whether they meet the criterion for art. Thoughts?

I think that if the finished image is created, ex nihilo, from the creator's imagination, then it does recreate, rather than rearrange, reality. If that is the case, I would classify it as fine art. Otherwise, I would classify it as graphic art like photography.

(By the way, I consider it a matter of classification and that's all. I don't go along with the idea that fine art is either morally or epistemologically superior to graphic art any more than "pure" scientific research is superior to technology. Both false notions come from opting for the mind half of the mind / body dichotomy.)