Betsy Speicher

Monna Vanna

Rate this book   9 votes

1. 1. Rate this book

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

This is a splendid and delightful little story, highly impressive in its originality and nobility of its characters; I first had it brought to my attention by Dr. Peikoff's lecture on his favorite plays. As it has a number of turns and twists I won't relate and particulars of its story; suffice it to say that the story circles around the city of Pisa in Italy beseiged during the time of the Renaissance by a great and infamous captain of the mercenaries. He requested his one demand, that he gets a night with the beautiful Giovanna, the leading and beautiful lady of the city. She is torn between her devotion to her virtue, and to her city and husband.

Both her choices and the dialogue, the wonderful characters, are all excellent, and developments emotional (at least for me). Also I wonder if anyone understood the reference from it in my recent birthday post to Betsy.

A rare 10 from me for this wonderful little play.

You might be interested to know that there is a new production of this play being staged in Hollywood and directed by yours truly.

We open on November 29th at the Stella Adler theater on Hollywood and Highland and we're running for three straight weeks. Our cast is prodigiously talented, classically trained, and passionate about the material.

Also, the 12/2 sunday 2pm show will be a benefit for the Ayn Rand Institute.

You can find out more information at the following website:

http://www.monna-vanna.com

Keep checking back with the website, as we plan to have a behind-the-scenes podcast and a blog up soon.

Wow that's fantastic, my sincerest congratulations! :P

Unfortunately I'm on the East Coast and can't make it over across the continent for the time being. Is there any chance of the play being produced somewhat closer to home?

Wow that's fantastic, my sincerest congratulations! :P

Unfortunately I'm on the East Coast and can't make it over across the continent for the time being. Is there any chance of the play being produced somewhat closer to home?

Well sort of - check out the location of the January 12th staging

You might be interested to know that there is a new production of this play being staged in Hollywood and directed by yours truly.

We open on November 29th at the Stella Adler theater on Hollywood and Highland and we're running for three straight weeks. Our cast is prodigiously talented, classically trained, and passionate about the material.

Keep checking back with the website, as we plan to have a behind-the-scenes podcast and a blog up soon.

This sounds very exciting. I wish you the best of success.

Any plans to film it as Ayn Rand's Ideal was filmed and put out on DVD?

Thanks to all the well-wishers. We're just now into our 4th week of rehearsal and it's probably the most creative and fulfilling experience I've ever had. Our actors are crazy passionate about the material, and it's inspiring to see.

Any plans to film it as Ayn Rand's Ideal was filmed and put out on DVD?

It's hard to say whether this will happen. The only thing we know for sure is that there will be a three week run in Hollywood, and it could very easily be the only form in which this play will exist. We're trying to make this have a life beyond those three weeks, but there are no guarantees.