baletindomewen

Henna body art

61 posts in this topic

By the way, here is why I personally would not announced that I was revulsed by baletindomewen's Henna art, even if I had to avert my eyes from the screen:

1. If I was that revulsed, it would not warrant much more of my time.

2. baletindomewen has come here earnestly expressing interest in understanding Objectivism (which is a reason to respect her).

3. We are basically all among friends here and it's nice to promote positive, benevolent discussion.

I don't think any of these reasons are absolutes; just useful.

I want to foster an environment I can enjoy. For example, when I'm out with my wrestling friends we talk about the latest fights on tv, I don't bring up some problem I have with some part of their life that is insignificant to me. What matters most is focussing on like-values.

And, FC, Bill Gates has been know to attack his employees ideas/statements by stating "that is the stuipidist idea I have ever heard." Is Bill Gates not an American also?

He sure is (when not supporting China and such). But it seems you made stating things bluntly and even rudely to be a kind of American test or something, and even see the request for tact to be a sign of cultural degradation or something; my point was that the early and ballsiest Americans of them all were actually the most tactful ones.

Being blunt and even mean is sometimes a management tactic to get your employees to work better or more efficiently. It is definitely not a social situation between equals, and Gates is definitely not making friends, nor is it something I personally would tolerate from him outside an employee/business relationship. You know they used to fight duels over a carelessly tactless word. Aside from fighting duels, I think we should encourage being tactful and polite to our friends, regardless of how we evaluate this or that thing they did (after all, being friends they deserve such a treatment). And once more, being tactful is not neglecting or avoiding making a judgment!

If you find it is more important to use tact, do so. If you find it is more important to use both tact and judge something accordingly, do so.

See you make the same statement. Why can't a person judge something accordingly, and be a tactful and a gentleman?

If you find it is more important to use tact, do so. If you find it is more important to use both tact and judge something accordingly, do so.

See you make the same statement. Why can't a person judge something accordingly, and be a tactful and a gentleman?

I agree with you, but you forgot the last part which is just as important as the other two parts. "If you find something so offensive that tact cannot possiblly or logically play a part in your jodgement, do so." How can any of us know what is considered offensive to someone else in their value system? The answer is you cannot, the most you can do is ask them why they made that so called "offensive" statement. Even on a forum such as this one where we are "Ayn Rand Fans" we are not going to value everything in the same way or to the same level. We are all going to have different reactions to different situations and values. This very discussion should be a perfect example of that.

How can any of us know what is considered offensive to someone else in their value system? The answer is you cannot, the most you can do is ask them why they made that so called "offensive" statement.

That's true, but I would prefer that you ask them privately.

That way the other person is put on notice that at least one person finds his statements questionable and it gives him the opportunity, in the privacy of his own mind, to think about what he said and decide whether he wants to defend, clarify, or apologize for it.

Ok....holy cow....I was totally not expecting such an explosion. I apologize for starting this post and causing such a frenzy of disagreement and offense. That was not my intention at all, and to anyone who has been offended or hurt by comments made in response to my post, I am very sorry. :lol: I just happen to be proud of the fact that I'm learning a new skill and applying it in such a way as to hopefully make a living for myself one day, even if it's not an Objectivist art. It's certainly a lot more fun to say I'm a henna artist and bellydancer than an automotive service writer (which is my 9-5)...lol. Besides, I think henna is beautiful and fun, not to mention good for the skin, and I just really like things that are unique.

Ok....holy cow....I was totally not expecting such an explosion. I apologize for starting this post and causing such a frenzy of disagreement and offense. That was not my intention at all, and to anyone who has been offended or hurt by comments made in response to my post, I am very sorry. :lol: I just happen to be proud of the fact that I'm learning a new skill and applying it in such a way as to hopefully make a living for myself one day, even if it's not an Objectivist art. It's certainly a lot more fun to say I'm a henna artist and bellydancer than an automotive service writer (which is my 9-5)...lol. Besides, I think henna is beautiful and fun, not to mention good for the skin, and I just really like things that are unique.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to share something you value, with others. Neither do you have to justify your work as Objectivist art. Your interest is part of a culture that most of us are not familiar with, and consequently may not appreciate as much as you had hoped. Please don't hesitate to share again in fear of rejection of your interests. There will always be arguments in matters of art appreciation, so you have nothing to apologize for. ;)

I apologize for starting this post and causing such a frenzy of disagreement and offense.

No apology needed. This is a good discussion to have.

Ok....holy cow....I was totally not expecting such an explosion. I apologize for starting this post and causing such a frenzy of disagreement and offense. That was not my intention at all, and to anyone who has been offended or hurt by comments made in response to my post, I am very sorry. :lol: I just happen to be proud of the fact that I'm learning a new skill and applying it in such a way as to hopefully make a living for myself one day, even if it's not an Objectivist art.

You shouldn't feel bad for posting about it here. People can argue over the merits of the appearance, whether it is art or proper decoration, and so forth, but there are some basic points: 1) it is not a harmful activity. I gather that the henna is temporary unlike regular tattoos. You and the women you apply it to, find enjoyment in it. 2) You appear to be good at it, even now. Most people couldn't begin to make those patterns with that level of skill. 3) There's a market for it. 4) You can probably make good money from doing something you love.

The "bright side" of the various reactions is that it shows that thinking people with a definite philosophy can have strong feelings and extended discussions over practically anything. Objectivists (or "Objectivist sympathisers" in some cases) are individualists.

I admire the intricacy of those drawings--how long does it take you to do these?

I'd like to say that I do like it.

However, in the photo of you and your sister I don't believe it is tastefully done; although it must take some skill to do it.

Largely, I believe, because it is across both hands and feet. The symmetry makes it look tribal, or an escape from humanity.

I believe you would achieve a far greater effect with smaller and unique patterns, less frequent than you show in the photos. Don't think of the human as a canvass, we will never be one. A human is the painting, you henna could be a few extra strokes that enhance it.