Betsy Speicher

Affirmative Action: A Diversity of Criticisms - UCLA

2 posts in this topic

Monday, November 5, 2007, from 7 pm to 9 pm

What: A panel discussion and Q&A on the morality and practicality of "affirmative action"

Who: Ward Connerly, chairman of the American Civil Rights Institute; Richard Sander, professor at the UCLA School of Law; and Peter Schwartz, former chairman of the board of directors of the Ayn Rand Institute

Where: UCLA Campus: Ackerman Grand Ballroom, Los Angeles, CA

When: Monday, November 5, 2007, from 7 pm to 9 pm

Hosted by: LOGIC (UCLA's Objectivist Club), with support from the Ayn Rand Institute, and co-sponsored by the College Republicans and Bruin Republicans.

This event is open to the public. Admission is FREE.

Summary: On the 11th anniversary of the passing of Proposition 209, a distinguished panel of speakers will deliver a variety of critical perspectives on Affirmative Action, and will answer questions such as: What are the actual effects of Affirmative Action programs? What are the ideas and ideals that lead many to support it? What, if any, should be the government's role in fighting discrimination or promoting diversity?

Bios:

--Ward Connerly, who spearheaded the Proposition 209 campaign, is a former Regent of the University of California and is currently the chairman of the American Civil Rights Institute

--Richard Sander, a professor at the UCLA School of Law, is a long-time supporter of Affirmative Action and has recently published several empirical critiques of the effectiveness of certain types of Affirmative Action programs

--Peter Schwartz, the former chairman of the board of directors of the Ayn Rand Institute, has written and spoken extensively on multiculturalism and racism from the Objectivist philosophic perspective

Monday, November 5, 2007, from 7 pm to 9 pm

I'll be attending this event and will be in the UCLA area in the afternoon. If anyone would like to join me for dinner, send me a PM.