Betsy Speicher

Member Profiles Now Protected

3 posts in this topic

A member complained that a guest reader of THE FORUM had apparently gained her IM address by reading her profile and then sent her unwanted messages. Considering all the spam I filter out of THE FORUM on a daily basis, I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

Needless to say, once is too much so I have altered the board settings. Guests who are not on the Ban List can still read all the FORUM postings and notices, but they can no longer read member profiles. This includes search engines like Google although profile information currently in Google's cache may remain for about a month or so.

After this change, if you receive unwanted communications from anyone and suspect they may have used personal information from THE FORUM, please PM me as soon as possible and I will do what I can.

Thanks for doing that, Betsy, I think it's appropriate. Had I known that the profiles were open to anyone, I would have requested that they be off-limits to non-members.

I have never had a problem with people viewing my profile, although I can understand some people's hesitance.