RickWilmes

How do you cook your Thanksgiving turkey?

7 posts in this topic

For several years now, I have been using a recipe from Weber's: Art of the Grill

The title for the recipe is

Apple-Brined and Hickory-Smoked Turkey

The brine is a mixture of apple juice, brown sugar, kosher salt, quartered oranges, fresh ginger, whole cloves, bay leaves, and garlic.

When I first tried this recipe we used a 20-lb turkey. As the years have past, I have insisted that the turkey should be around 12 lbs. There are several reasons for this. The 2o pounder is too big for my weber grill. It takes longer to cook and requires more coals. I bar-b-que one turkey and then my mother-in-law cooks an equal size turkey in her oven.

To smoke the turkey, I soak hickory chips in water overnight and then throw the chips on the coals each time I check the turkey. I have thought about soaking the chips in beer but do not want to waste the beer. :D

While I am bar-b-queing, I enjoy my favorite beer which is an India Pale Ale from BridgePort Brewing Company, one of the most popular beer brewers here in Portland. I also listen to my MP3 player. Those in attendance think I am listening to music. Actually, I listen to lectures from the ARI lecture series. In the past my favorites have been:

George Washington: Integrity and the Founding of America by John Ridpath

This Hallowed Ground by John Ridpath

This year my choices are going to be:

Metaphysical Value Judgements by Gary Hull

Psycho-Epistemology 1 by Harry Binswager

Clarity in Conceptualization: The Art of Identifying "Package Deals" by Peter Schwartz

Most likely I won't get to listen as I have in the past because I now have a daughter who is walking and learning at a pace that I am barely keeping up with.

This year I also decided to spice up my turkey a little. I added some nutmeg into the brew and some peppercorns. I will let you know if I notice some differences and if the others who have had my turkeys in the past notice anything different.

I am curious how other members cook their turkeys or do you cook something else.

The farm hands have roasted squail (that's quail which consumption causes delightful squeaks) with sweet potatoes, mushroom compote and barley and green onion kishk. Just a longer lunch that usual given today, but more of a selection for dinner.

The farm hands have roasted squail (that's quail which consumption causes delightful squeaks [...]

:D Delightful squeaks from the consumers?

The farm hands have roasted squail (that's quail which consumption causes delightful squeaks [...]

:D Delightful squeaks from the consumers?

It better not be the quails!

It better not be the quails!

I wondered for a minute whether it was something about the cooked quails that made a squeaking noise as they were eaten; it didn't occur to me that it might have implied they were still alive.

Anyway, sounds like a happy scene with good food, I hope you're having some.

For several years now, I have been using a recipe from Weber's: Art of the Grill

The title for the recipe is

Apple-Brined and Hickory-Smoked Turkey

The brine is a mixture of apple juice, brown sugar, kosher salt, quartered oranges, fresh ginger, whole cloves, bay leaves, and garlic.

When I first tried this recipe we used a 20-lb turkey. As the years have past, I have insisted that the turkey should be around 12 lbs. There are several reasons for this. The 2o pounder is too big for my weber grill. It takes longer to cook and requires more coals. I bar-b-que one turkey and then my mother-in-law cooks an equal size turkey in her oven.

[cut]

Mmm, grilled turkey. My mother made it on the grill one year, and it was amazing. :D The apple brine sounds especially good, too.

Mmm, grilled turkey. My mother made it on the grill one year, and it was amazing. :D The apple brine sounds especially good, too.

Yeah, the combination of brining and bar-b-queing really makes for a good turkey. I think I am going to use the same recipe for some Cornish Game Hens at Christmas time. CometMaker's reference to quail has implanted the idea in my head.

This years turkey turned out really well. I mentioned that I added nutmeg into the recipe. Before I started to cook the turkey, I learned that nutmeg was used as an incense by the Romans. I decided to add the nutmeg with the hickory chips and smoke the turkey with that

combination. I received quite a few comments about how good the smoke flavor was this year. I think the nutmeg gave the smoke flavor a sweetness that wasn't there when I just used hickory chips. I'm going to experiment some more with this combination.

Since my bar-b-que time has been cut in half by using a smaller turkey I did not listen to any lectures. We did get into a debate after dinner about the United States immigration policy. Ayn Rand came up during the debate and I actually had the latest catalog from the ARI bookstore with me. Several people took an interest which I thought was good.