JohnRgt

Veyron vs Eurofigher -- well, sort of.

12 posts in this topic

Apparently, the boys at Top Gear didn't hit the limit when they raced a Veyron against a Cessna from Italy to England.

Link

Frivolous but funny.

Well, let's hear it for the frivolous! I thought both machines were great.

I don't know anything about the Euro-fighter. Is it as advertised in the video?

They are, it's just funny to put even a powerhouse such as the Veyron against one of the most advanced jet fighters; the "contest" is silly and they knew it, but it's one more opportunity to see cool, fast machines go full tilt, which I think is the point.

They are, it's just funny to put even a powerhouse such as the Veyron against one of the most advanced jet fighters; the "contest" is silly and they knew it, but it's one more opportunity to see cool, fast machines go full tilt, which I think is the point.

Yes, that's what I got. And I loved watching it, incongruity and all. :D

More power to the people. :D

I'd like to see the Eurofighter square off against the F-35, or at least the F-22 Raptor jet, and then see who wins :D I once heard of this mock battle in the sky where one F-22 defeated something like eighty-eight F-18s (until a few years ago the best airplanes in the world).

I'd like to see the Eurofighter square off against the F-35, or at least the F-22 Raptor jet, and then see who wins :D I once heard of this mock battle in the sky where one F-22 defeated something like eighty-eight F-18s (until a few years ago the best airplanes in the world).

From what I hear, the Eurofighter was undertaken for the same reasons Concorde, Airbus, the EU, the G-36, the Euro, the Olympics in Athens, all kinds of off-the-scale civic projects, etc., came about: Europe's intelligentsia are determined to "beat" the US. The problem is that for whatever reasons, they're not adopting the causes of America's success -- IF ONLY!. Since, like the Muslims after their defeat outside Vienna, they're convinced their philosophic premises are solid, all they think they need to do is tweak an affect or two.

A few things:

The F-16 and F-18 do not have variable geometry inlets, therefore, they cannot go Mach at sea level. The F-14, F-15, F-22, and, from what I can tell by the pictures, the Eurofighter do and can. The one thing the F-22 has that none of the others do, is vectored thrust. In this type of race, the F-22 will beat all the others handily.

Well, since you are discussing fast equipment, take a guess about the first airliner to break the sound barrier. It was in 1961, before the Concord and TU-44 did so in 1969.

A clue, it belonged to a Canadian airline I flew for.

Well, since you are discussing fast equipment, take a guess about the first airliner to break the sound barrier. It was in 1961, before the Concord and TU-44 did so in 1969.

If I recall correctly, it was the Comet.

If I recall correctly, it was the Comet.

No, while Canadian Pacific Airlines did buy a Comet, it crashed on the delivery flight. The airliner I am referring to was a first generation jet that came after the Comet.

It required a 15 degree descent angel from altitude to break the sound barrier. There were no control problems except a mild buzz on slowing down through M.94. To my knowledge this has never been repeated by a subsonic airliner.