Betsy Speicher

The Golden Compass (2007)

Rate this movie   20 votes

1. 1. Artistic Merit

2. 2. Sense of Life or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

I hope an extended version is issued on DVD.

I don't know if the DVD version was extended or not. The movie, which I had really been looking forward to seeing after all the reviews, was ruined for me because Dakota Blue Richards does a PSA before the movie begins to save the helpless polar bears from global warming. I couldn't pretend Iorek Byrnison as anything other than a carnivore.

In the version I saw, Iorek *loses* to the King Bear who wants his own daemon. The king is shown holding a baby doll, pretending he has one. The point of why a polar bear could speak and get drunk but not have a daemon was lost on me. Stupid PSA.

The only fantasy series I know that is philosophically not disappointing is Goodkind's The Sword of Truth series. Unfortunately though, Mr Goodkind has several weaknesses as a writer, and the editors at TOR should be summarily executed (not really, but they are terrible).
I greatly enjoyed the Sword of Truth series, with all of its flaws. And, yes, the editors... if there actually were any... were apparently unable to recognize anything a Word spell-checker wouldn't. They're lame. Goodkind redundantly writes redundantly often and at great length, but his characters are strong and believable, his world consistent, the plots inventive, complex, and rewarding, and, yes, he's an Objectivist and managed to project that into a technologically medieval, magical world, which is no small feat.

My favorite editorial lapse was: "As he wandered endlessly through the ... forest, he wondered if it would ever end. [Phantom]"

But I greatly admire Goodkind's achievement. As a former college paper editor, I wish he'd have given me a call ;) I would love to have helped him trim the fat in an overall terrific series.

(and anything else I have to say about Sword of Truth I'll confine to a SOT thread :wacko:)