Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baletindomewen

Alright...I'll admit it....I'm a sinner!

4 posts in this topic

Yes...it's true...I have sinned. How?

I dance.

*claps hand to mouth*

Not only do I dance...I dance with my belly uncovered.

*claps hands to eyes*

Even worse...I dance to drums!

*faints*

Yes, I am a tool of Satan. I dance, not fully covered, to drums, and move in a seductive, sensual manner. I intentionally arouse men to make a profit. Oh the horror! Oh the shame!

Well....at least that's what a bunch of little Christian children were so eager to tell me the other night....lol

My sister and I rode in the bed of a pickup truck, in full costume, for the local downtown Christmas parade on Saturday night (I'm a member of our local Downtown Main Street Association and figured this would be a fun advertising opportunity for me...not to mention I love Christmas more than any other time of the year). A majority of the crowd totally enjoyed it, and we had so much fun. There were a few small groups, however, including this float of children from a local bible school, who were very loud in proclaiming our sins.

"Put a shirt on! You're evil! That's disgusting! That's inappropriate! That's Satan's music!"

I just had to laugh.

It is, however, sad that bellydance has become something sexual and inappropriate, when it was never designed to be so. The dance was, in origin, never intended to be used for seduction. It was actually done by women, for women; at the time a woman dancing for a man was inappropriate, and vice versa. Bellydance was something for the women to do in the privacy of their homes, where they could remove their collective veils that covered them in public and be able to freely and beautifully express themselves and their individuality. It was part of their culture, and was considered an art.

Now, the status of bellydance has turned from artful to sexual, from cultural to slutty sideshow entertainment. Of course, I must admit, there are a lot of bellydancers who support this viewpoint by not adhering to some of the ethical guidelines of professional bellydancers (e.g. never openly flirt with your audience, when doing floorwork never part your knees toward your audience, never dress so scandalously that your costume might reveal too much, never advertise yourself as anything less than tasteful / elegant / artistic...basically, don't equate yourself with a pole dancer or stripper, etc.).

It's very frustrating for me that I have to turn jobs down because people are expecting a certain low (by low, I mean degrading, trashy, slutty) level of entertainment...something I'm certainly not willing to offer for any amount of money. I hate that so many people equate bellydance with stripping, such that even when I'm portraying something beautiful and tasteful, I get shouted down because I'm apparently doing something sinful.

Well...I guess that just means I'll have to work a lot harder to educate the public in my area so I can actually get more work (there's another dancer I used to be friends with who gets jobs all the time, but I know for a fact she's willingly consented to a much lower level of entertainment than I would ever accept...which is sad, I hope she doesn't get herself hurt doing that, but if she does, it's her own fault).

...I wonder...if I continue my slow transition away from bellydance and toward Hindustani dance, and start wearing saris and salwar kameez instead of traditional bellydance costumes, what the local public would think...lol

I dance.

*claps hand to mouth*

Well...I guess that just means I'll have to work a lot harder to educate the public in my area so I can actually get more work....

Heh. Thats funny in an eerie sort of way... Sometimes it amazes me how strong Christianity still is in America.

I like your approach to dealing with the public... I hope your attempts to educate them workout, good luck and all.

I hope you face is not veiled, showing off your beautiful smile to match your body.

I dance.

*claps hand to mouth*

Not only do I dance...I dance with my belly uncovered.

*claps hands to eyes*

Even worse...I dance to drums!

*faints*

Yes, I am a tool of Satan. I dance, not fully covered, to drums, and move in a seductive, sensual manner. I intentionally arouse men to make a profit. Oh the horror! Oh the shame!

Well....at least that's what a bunch of little Christian children were so eager to tell me the other night....lol

My sister and I rode in the bed of a pickup truck, in full costume, for the local downtown Christmas parade on Saturday night (I'm a member of our local Downtown Main Street Association and figured this would be a fun advertising opportunity for me...not to mention I love Christmas more than any other time of the year). A majority of the crowd totally enjoyed it, and we had so much fun. There were a few small groups, however, including this float of children from a local bible school, who were very loud in proclaiming our sins.

"Put a shirt on! You're evil! That's disgusting! That's inappropriate! That's Satan's music!"

I just had to laugh.

It is, however, sad that bellydance has become something sexual and inappropriate, when it was never designed to be so. The dance was, in origin, never intended to be used for seduction. It was actually done by women, for women; at the time a woman dancing for a man was inappropriate, and vice versa. Bellydance was something for the women to do in the privacy of their homes, where they could remove their collective veils that covered them in public and be able to freely and beautifully express themselves and their individuality. It was part of their culture, and was considered an art.

Now, the status of bellydance has turned from artful to sexual, from cultural to slutty sideshow entertainment. Of course, I must admit, there are a lot of bellydancers who support this viewpoint by not adhering to some of the ethical guidelines of professional bellydancers (e.g. never openly flirt with your audience, when doing floorwork never part your knees toward your audience, never dress so scandalously that your costume might reveal too much, never advertise yourself as anything less than tasteful / elegant / artistic...basically, don't equate yourself with a pole dancer or stripper, etc.).

It's very frustrating for me that I have to turn jobs down because people are expecting a certain low (by low, I mean degrading, trashy, slutty) level of entertainment...something I'm certainly not willing to offer for any amount of money. I hate that so many people equate bellydance with stripping, such that even when I'm portraying something beautiful and tasteful, I get shouted down because I'm apparently doing something sinful.

Well...I guess that just means I'll have to work a lot harder to educate the public in my area so I can actually get more work (there's another dancer I used to be friends with who gets jobs all the time, but I know for a fact she's willingly consented to a much lower level of entertainment than I would ever accept...which is sad, I hope she doesn't get herself hurt doing that, but if she does, it's her own fault).

...I wonder...if I continue my slow transition away from bellydance and toward Hindustani dance, and start wearing saris and salwar kameez instead of traditional bellydance costumes, what the local public would think...lol

Even if you were a poll dancer, stripper etc, I don't see the big deal. It's not something I partake of, but if consenting adults voluntarily decide to trade (i.e. as employed dancer and club patron) I honestly can't see what upsets people?

And having seen some bona fide belly dancing at an Iranian restaurant in London some months ago, may I just say congratulations on being able to perform a difficult and highly athletic dance which was great to watch

Don't let the intolerant bigots get to you

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0