oldsalt

The Chickens' Homecoming, Part 2

2 posts in this topic

Academic Intimidation, by Thomas Sowell

There is an article in the current issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education -- the trade publication of the academic world -- about professors being physically intimidated by their students.

"Most of us dread physical confrontation," the author says. "And so these aggressive, and even dangerous, students get passed along, learning that intimidation and implied threats will get them what they want in life."

This professor has been advised, at more than one college, not to let students know where he lives, not to give out his home phone number and to keep his home phone number from being listed.

This is a very different academic world from the one in which I began teaching back in 1962. Over the years, I saw it change before my eyes.

[read the rest at Real Clear Politics.]

Then we have The Adversarial Campus, by Mark Bauerlein, at Minding the Campus.

Against repeated accusations of leftwing bias on campus, professors have mounted many rejoinders [sic] disputing one or another item in the indictment. They claim that the disproportion isn't as high as reports say. Or that reports focus on small pockets (women's studies, etc.). Or that party registration is a crude indicator. Or that conservatives are too greedy and obtuse to undergo academic training.

The denials go on, and sometimes it's hard to tell whether professors really believe in their own neutrality or whether they just hope to brazen out the attacks. One response, however, stands apart, precisely because it doesn't deny a darn thing in the bias charge. Indeed, it concedes every empirical point - "Yes, left-wing people, left-wing ideas, and left-wing texts dominate," but it adds, "And that's exactly as it should be."

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that college profs are physically threatened, though I still am. For the humanities professors at least, talk about the chickens (or the chicken's offspring) coming home to roost.