Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duke

A More Beautiful Smile

3 posts in this topic

I went to the dentist yesterday and had fillings put in. Rather than the old metal fillings (which may be linked to health problems), the new ones are white and match the colour of your teeth. The dentist drilled out the old ones and replaced them with the white filler. He used some type of UV light to harden the filling material in less than a minute.

The next appointment is to get Invisalign braces. Rather than having embarassing metal clamps in your mouth, you are fitted with a custom designed invisable aligner that is changed every few weeks as your teeth gradually improve their position. They are completely removable at any time so one can eat or clean their teeth properly. For me, I won't have cut up lips if I get punched during boxing, which would happen with traditional braces (or require some type of special mouth guard).

When you set up your consultation for these braces, the computer shows you how your mouth will look and how you are scheduled to improve with each retainer. The dimensions of your teeth are sent out to the company which manufactures the braces individually with computer imaging then cut with a machine almost instantly.

InvisalignBraces.jpg

[...]

How much does this cost in Canada? And how long before you are able to consult a dentist?

Dental care is private in Canada, which is one reason why the care is good. I'm also looking to get laser eye surgery which is completely private here, and improves in technology and price every year. I had my teeth cleaned on the 19th, then he had an openning on the 20th for the fillings. That is unheard of with regular government care.

He said the price will likely be about $3000, and my insurance will cover 55% of that. The consultation can happen any time after my dentist's Christmas holiday.

On the other hand, I am on a waiting list for an elective surgery that's covered by the government. The wait is 12-18 months for the consultation, then 12-18 months for the surgery after that. By the time the surgery comes, I may be finished my undergraduate degree and out of Canada for good. My doctor who is from South Africa joked with me that I should go to Africa to get it done.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0