PhilO

Best Christmas presents (actual or desired)

25 posts in this topic

So - best present you got for Christmas?

Or perhaps what you'd like to receive if price weren't an object? :)

I would like a guarantee that all I wish for in life would come true. :)

Never got a Christmas present.

My wife would tell you a Tiffany's Diamond.

(Incidentally, next time someone talks about the need to ban trade with China or restrict imports because you can't build DVD's as cheaply as the far east, bear in mind, she didn't want a diamond from Peking!)

What I would like? Business expenses paid and looked after for the next month, and a ticket to Peru. :)

Best present I actually got, well I can't say that one. :)

A Blue 8-Ball microphone with pop filter, and desk stand. And a US-144 USB Audio/MIDI interface. I can record at will commander.

A Ferrari Scuderia with a manual transmission.

To be clear: the one I may still get for Xmas would be this one. The real thing, if you could get one with a stick, would run about $400K, and about $1/mile in upkeep ("upkeep" does not include fuel -- "just" mechanical maintenance.)

I bought the best Xmas present for myself - Fundamentals of Physical Science: A Historical Inductive Approach from the VanDamme Academy. It's a little embarrassing at my age, but my desire to learn over rides it immediately.

It's a little embarrassing at my age, but my desire to learn over rides it immediately.

I think it's never too late to learn anything :)

I bought the best Xmas present for myself - Fundamentals of Physical Science: A Historical Inductive Approach from the VanDamme Academy. It's a little embarrassing at my age, but my desire to learn over rides it immediately.

Considering what I have seen of your past (which is not much), I would guess that you had other important values that you were obtaining. So, If I were you I would not be embarrassed nor kick yourself in the butt. I would recognize that the nature of man is that his time is limited and he must choose what is of the most value to him at specific times. There is no way one person could learn everything nor should they try.

This is not to say that people should not try and learn the basic fundamentals of certain subjects so that they have a proper understanding of nature. But, your understanding of physics is probably never going to be at the level of Jordan's, who wants to be a physics teacher.

My best presents were gift certificates from the Ayn Rand Bookstore.

My best presents were gift certificates from the Ayn Rand Bookstore.

My parents suprised me with an even better present than the one I already mentioned. This gift was not the most expensive nor would it be considered by most to be special, but for me it was. But, to show why it is important to me, I will need to give some history on the subject. I hope you all do not mind.

When I was 14 years old my Uncle Garry and I set a goal to ride our horses from Western New York, west to the Pacific Coast. We were going to do this during one of my summer vacations, which unfortunately my parents never allowed. While planning and getting ready for the event my uncle and I bought many goods to make our trip enjoyful and safe. One of the goods he bought for me was a Ruger .357 magnum pistol. I was not old enough to keep it myself, so he always held it for me. When we would go riding locally we would always carry the weapons to grow accustomed to carrying them while riding. We would practice firing the pistols while on horseback so that the horses would also not be startled by the noise.

When I went to college my uncle told me that the pistol was mine and when I was ready he would transfer it to me. Well, I went into the Marine Corps and moved around the world, so I just left the pistol with my uncle. Some of you know that my uncle died, unfortunately when he did, he did not have any written word on who the pistol should go to. My Aunt and I had a disagreement (not over the pistol) and stopped talking a little while after my uncle's death. I figured that I would never see anything that my uncle owned ever again. This past year my aunt contacted my parents and stated she was going to sell my uncle's weapons, and wanted to know if they wanted to purchase any of them.

My parents purchased that pistol that was bought for me over 25 years ago and gave it to me as a gift. This is a great gift that I will always cherrish.

One of the best christmas presents I've ever gotten, was a beautiful brilliant opal stone necklace my sweetie gave me :)

Another of the best presents I've ever gotten was the genuine benevolence, love and support I have offered to me from the people in my life.

~Carrie~*

I always love to give and receive homemade gifts at Christmas. But also good books are excellent. This year my children gave me a nice copy of Jane Eyre to add to my collection. :)

I would say the best Christmas present I ever received was my saxophone, when I was in middle school. I loved that thing. There's a world of difference between playing an instrument loaned to you by the school, and playing your own. I still remember just staring at it in the case that morning, and I remember the new shine off of it combined with the reflection of the tree lights. Playing was an entirely different experience from then on out. I also received (I think a year later) a "gig bag", a special case shaped more like the sax, which could be worn over the shoulder. The instrument and the case made playing much more personal.

I stopped playing after high school, but I have many fond memories of that "horn". :huh:

This year my parents gave me their piano, which I grew up playing. I haven't really played consistently since I moved out their house, so having it in mine will reunite me with my favorite creative outlet.

Considering what I have seen of your past (which is not much), I would guess that you had other important values that you were obtaining.

I'm just curious, what values did you think I was working to be obtain?

Considering what I have seen of your past (which is not much), I would guess that you had other important values that you were obtaining.

I'm just curious, what values did you think I was working to be obtain?

I have followed the link in your signature line to your myspace site where I watched your video. In the video there seemed to be a woman that was striving to be very good at business. So, I assumed that the "other important values" would be learning all that you could about business which might not leave much time for physics.

Wow, RayK. Your parents are swell. I am awaiting the return of my grandmother's clock. (Following my grandmother's death, another family member - outraged that my grandmother had left the clock with me, her supposedly 'favorite' granddaughter - walked straight into my house, took the clock off the wall, turned around, and walked straight out. But that family member never cared for my grandmother, so why care about my grandmother's clock??) Family members can be brutal. Thank goodness those are few. Thank goodness for your parents (and mine).

My favorite Christmas/holiday gift(s) received? Family dinner. With no gifts.