Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasonlockwood

Life in Australia

10 posts in this topic

This post is an appeal to all you Aussies (or longtime residents of Australia) on the VIRTUES of living in Australia.

As many of you know, I have accepted a position with my company that will be based in the Sydney area. In a meeting with the hiring manager down there today, he expressed the need to have someone there within a month or so. Therefore, it is highly likely that I will be in Sydney by around mid-March of 2008.

On the FORUM we discuss lots of pros and cons about this country or that, so I want to make clear that I am eliciting only the POSITIVE aspects of life in Australia. The negative things I can figure out on my own when I'm there.

I already have a great affection for Australia and Australians, so you can all imagine my delight at moving to such a wonderful place.

Thanks in advance!

This post is an appeal to all you Aussies (or longtime residents of Australia) on the VIRTUES of living in Australia.

As many of you know, I have accepted a position with my company that will be based in the Sydney area. In a meeting with the hiring manager down there today, he expressed the need to have someone there within a month or so. Therefore, it is highly likely that I will be in Sydney by around mid-March of 2008.

On the FORUM we discuss lots of pros and cons about this country or that, so I want to make clear that I am eliciting only the POSITIVE aspects of life in Australia. The negative things I can figure out on my own when I'm there.

I already have a great affection for Australia and Australians, so you can all imagine my delight at moving to such a wonderful place.

Thanks in advance!

Well, one virtue is the similarity with America (although most Australians prefer to stress their differences from America). This country has one of the highest levels independent business and stock ownerships.

They are sports mad as seen by the results at Olympic Games, so if you love sports, this is the place to be.

We now have a Labor government (our version of your Democrats). It is remarkable how they have changed from a Communist influenced anti-business leftist establishment, to a pro business fiscally conservative party. They remain tainted with underlying premises from the past, but, believe it or not, it has been they who carried out the major economic reforms that liberated the economy we now have. Life here is good in general, and I will be interested in your views of the comparison of freedoms enjoyed.

I do warn that the booming economy has made finding rental accommodation more difficult and expensive, so be prepared for this.

Sydney is a big and busy city, so if you feel the need to escape, there is always Queensland :)

Never been there myself, but things I would like to experience if I were...:

- Big rugby country, I'm a fan of the game

- One of the top 5 scubadiving destinations in the world (great barrier reef)

- Amazing geographical diversity that allows for a variety of travel destinations. Some of those are absolutely unique.

- Fun animals in zoos and parks.

There...

JD

Australia is a land of staggering natural beauty, such as Nicole Kidman or Elle McPherson. :)

Australia is a land of staggering natural beauty, such as Nicole Kidman or Elle McPherson. :)

And how about Miss Universe 2005, Jennifer Hawkins. Pure sparkling delight.

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far.

As for rental prices, I've noticed that there's quite a bit of selection in the one-bedroom category (which is what I will initially have) for reasonable rates. Fortunately, my salary will be such that I can afford a nice apartment.

I do agree that Queensland is beautiful. During my last trip to Australia, I spent two of the four weeks in Queensland and was enamored of the landscapes, friendly people and overall "vibe." I will definitely spend time up there. :)

Jason

I'm writing this in Lewistown, Montana, so the virtue that's top of mind for me right now is warmth! Sydney has a wonderful climate -- warm most of the year. That means al fresco dining, breakfast, lunch and dinner, almost all year round.

I've lived in Brisbane for more than 20 years, but I spend alternate weeks in Sydney and Melbourne -- and travel to the US frequently. Sydney is by far my favourite Australian city.

I enjoy the out-doors lifestyle and the great food (Asian influence). Sydney-siders are less laid-back than other Aussies and have a sense of life similar to Americans.

When you get here, be sure to have a lazy breakfast on the balcony at the Lamrock (Bondi Beach). And that evening, arrive late for dinner at my favorite restaurant (anywhere on the planet): Lotus (Potts Point). Tell them I sent you!

Better still, let me know when you're down under, and I'll introduce you myself!

You'll have fun.

Justin

Thanks, Justin, for the information.

I will private message you my e-mail address to make it easier to correspond.

Cheers!

Good luck with your new posting, Mr. Lockwood.

About twenty years ago, I spent a month in Western Australia (Perth, Fremantle and Exmouth). I've visited a number of countries over the years and always thought that Australia would be the best place to live outside the USA, that is, if I decided to do so.

If anyone down there can use an experienced photojournalist/videographer/camera guy. . .

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0