Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

$60K/gallon UV blocker?

8 posts in this topic

Do we have any chemists here?

Chevy is bragging that the compound it will be spraying on the ZR-1 (the rocket version of the Vette) in order to protect carbon fiber components from UV rays costs sixty thousand dollars per gallon.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

My first thought is that what they're actually spraying is probably a highly diluted form of it.

My second thought is that it would be nice to own the patent for the stuff. :)

I called the auto body suppliers listed in the few NYMetro Yellow Pages I have. They were stunned by the price. (None of them even stock a UV blocker specifically formulated for carbon fiber.)

According to these people, coatings tend to come ready to shoot. (Perhaps concentrates offer advantages when used in assembly lines.)

Do we have any chemists here?

Chevy is bragging that the compound it will be spraying on the ZR-1 (the rocket version of the Vette) in order to protect carbon fiber components from UV rays costs sixty thousand dollars per gallon.

Any thoughts?

I think that GM needs to check out eBay.

:)

Actually, the most effective UV blockers are mineral in nature, like Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide, which are not terribly expensive to manufacture. Ti02 is highly photoreactive and hydrophilic, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem on paint or not. But Zinc Oxide is the white stuff people used to put on their noses. It doesn't break down like the organic protectants like methoxycinnamate, paba, etc. Who knows what they're using for a car. Maybe Pt02... Platinum oxides might be very effective. Just something that would be highly reflective.

Actually, the most effective UV blockers are mineral in nature, like Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide, which are not terribly expensive to manufacture. Ti02 is highly photoreactive and hydrophilic, so I'm not sure if that would be a problem on paint or not....

Not only is it a good UV blocker, but titanium dioxide is one of the most common (if not the most common) white pigment used in paint today. It's used because it's fairly inert (e.g., it doesn't react with sulfur compounds in the air), permanent, and has good covering power. So I sure wouldn't think they'd spray it over the car's paint.... unless they wanted to repaint the car white. :)

So I sure wouldn't think they'd spray it over the car's paint.... unless they wanted to repaint the car white. :)

Oops. :) Re-reading the thread, I see that this mystery coating is something that might be applied before the paint goes on, so a white TiO2-containing primer might be just the ticket (if you don't mind the fact that every time a rock chips the paint, it uncovers a little white spot underneath), but that doesn't explain at all the $60K/gallon price.

After some more reading, it seems that this UV blocker is added to the clearcoat that's being sprayed on the carbon fibre bits on this rocket -- as Phil suspected, it's not a spray-alone coating. (I'm still looking for the official ratios, and how much of this mixture is being sprayed on the carbon bits of each car.)

BTW: The ZR-1 is getting Delphi's magnetic suspension (first introduced on the Cadillac XLR, then adapted for the mighty Ferrari 599, Audi R8, TT, etc.) and major brake system components found on the Enzo/FXX and Veyron. It seems that the ZR1 won't be a track car that's barely street legal/drivable, but rather, a world class sports GT. (GM has invested in a test center by the Nurburgring and has adjusted its design process and priorities to pay attention to the recommendations coming from this facility. Result? The Press is claiming that the new Cadilllac CTS handles better than the [relevant] BMW 5 -- that's huge! Let's hope the ZR1 benefits from this new GM expertise.)

+++

On Delphi's awesome magnetic suspension:

When in a magnetic field, small iron particles in the suspension fluid align themselves in the direction of the magnetic flux. The electromagnetic coil is integrated into the damper piston in such a way that when it is energized the magnetic flux runs exactly transversely to the admission ports in the damper piston. As the piston moves, the aligned iron particles cling together and create flow resistance in the flowing suspension fluid.

The greater the energy applied and the stronger the magnetic field, the greater the attractive force between the iron particles, thereby creating greater resistance and damping power. The energy is controlled in relation to driving dynamics and impulses from the road. This means for every road situation optimal damping power is available. This damping power produces - according to OEM desire - a more comfortable feel or sportier vehicle handling.

The control of these dampers is done by an electronic controller that communicates with the vehicle's sensors and other chassis controllers in order to determine the prevailing driving situation in a matter of milliseconds.

and

Because damper valving is eliminated by using magneto-rheological controlled fluid within the damper, the Delphi technology has a very short response time. The damping force is only dependent on the power applied to the magneto-rheological fluid and can be adjusted up to 1,000 times a second. Thanks to the nearly instantaneous and variable control of the power, the damping force can also be set anywhere in the broad range between the full soft and the full firm settings. This means the magneto-rheological dampers respond in real time and with great sensitivity to impulses from the road. The control system loop uses an enhanced Skyhook control strategy to ensure the greatest possible road-to-wheel contact on uneven road surfaces with the least impulse to the car body. This means that the new Audi R8 with Magnetic Ride has superb agility, great driving dynamics and outstanding ride comfort.

Delphi.com

This thing runs circles around electronically controlled pneumonic and variable valve suspensions. (For Ferrari to use an American component in its GT flagship...)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0