Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

The Archbishop of Canterbury on Sharia

7 posts in this topic

I'm at a loss for words:

From today's This Is London,

Adoption of Islamic Sharia Law in Britain is Unavoidable

"Nobody in their right mind, I think, would want to see in this country a kind of inhumanity that sometimes appears to be associated with the practice of the law in some Islamic states - the extreme punishments, the attitudes to women as well," he said.

Yeah, right. And once this insanity is officially established and half the camel's body, much less the nose, is inside the tent, what exactly will be stopping all of that?

I'm at a loss for words:

From today's This Is London,

Adoption of Islamic Sharia Law in Britain is Unavoidable

Indeed, Dr Williams is not alone in his insanity, another one of the Bishops publically declared last years floods were God's punishment for homosexuality (seriously!). In addition to much mirth, it prompted some highly innovative proposals to tackle droughts in the future :) .

Williams isn't an idiot literalist, more of a surrender monkey, looking to paper over cracks (or one should say canyons) in the differences between faiths.

Happily, he has been almost universally condemned but no-one has yet made the next logical step and state it is high time that the Church of England was dis-established. Then they can make whatever lunatic pronouncements they like and be completely ignored.

Williams isn't an idiot literalist, more of a surrender monkey, looking to paper over cracks (or one should say canyons) in the differences between faiths.

Happily, he has been almost universally condemned but no-one has yet made the next logical step and state it is high time that the Church of England was dis-established. Then they can make whatever lunatic pronouncements they like and be completely ignored.

Isn't Prince Charlie doing the same papering, by claiming to be a defender of FAITHS (plural)? Defender against what pray tell? What else but reason, do they 'defend' from?

When I was younger, I thought that extreme examples, carried to absurdity, would ensure their exposure and destruction. I thought that when the day came that a man hole cover was called a person hole cover, sanity would prevail. No longer; I now realize that if insane ideas are introduced a step at a time, the thin edge of the proverbial wedge will carry the remainder with in it.

No concessions to primitive law should considered.

Isn't Prince Charlie doing the same papering, by claiming to be a defender of FAITHS (plural)? Defender against what pray tell? What else but reason, do they 'defend' from?

When I was younger, I thought that extreme examples, carried to absurdity, would ensure their exposure and destruction. I thought that when the day came that a man hole cover was called a person hole cover, sanity would prevail. No longer; I now realize that if insane ideas are introduced a step at a time, the thin edge of the proverbial wedge will carry the remainder with in it.

No concessions to primitive law should considered.

I'm a tad sketchy on this, but the original title dating back to the adoption of protestantism by the English state meant to defend the true protestant religion from popish influences.

So it is really reductio ad absurdum to defend faiths, since their principal original threats were each other! Also when you think about it, you cannot simultaneously suppport a man who believes that path to internal life is exclusively through Jesus and the man who believes Muhammed is God's messenger and Jesus was just another prophet. Where this leaves the man who believes in Ganesh and all the Hindu dieties is anyone's guess; I'm unclear whether Charles just wants to defend mainstream monotheism, or all and sundry superstition? If so, I'm wondering where it leaves my formal state recognised religion of Jedi Knight? Because frankly, I'm homicidally annoyed at those who mock the great Obi-wan :)

Archbishop under pressure to quit

Dr Williams is said to be shocked by the response to his comments

The Archbishop of Canterbury continues to face calls for his resignation despite attempts to defuse the row over his Islamic Sharia law comments.

I never thought the day of infamy could be erased, but this would go some way towards fixing that.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0