Betsy Speicher

To Stimulate The Economy, Liberate It

3 posts in this topic

Commentary

To Stimulate The Economy, Liberate It

Yaron Brook 02.14.08, 10:28 AM ET

yaronbrook.jpg

While some in Washington are quibbling about the details of the economic stimulus package, nearly everyone agrees with its basic idea: that our ailing economy needs Uncle Sam to play doctor and hand out some $150 billion in consumer spending money. But this sort of government intervention is not the cure for our economic troubles. It is the cause.

Read the entire article here.

It amazes me that we can be so technologically brilliant, yet live in a world where the powers that be, can't or won't see the obviousness of this article.

It amazes me that we can be so technologically brilliant, yet live in a world where the powers that be, can't or won't see the obviousness of this article.

I honestly think that the smarter politicians know full well that government spending simply robs individuals who would spend the same money, better. But, given the nature of politics, if you had $150B to give out, you would have quite some power. And when was the last time you saw someone in political life giving up this much power?

Combine that with the fact that a large number of people now seem to think that the government will, as of right, cure all their ills, and you end up with utter nonsense like this.