Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piz

Re-Written Quotes

12 posts in this topic

Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask why your country won't let you do for yourself.

Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask why your country won't let you do for yourself.

Beautiful. :)

This is a mildly humorous quote I've seen from time to time:

We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!

Today it occurred to me to change it to this:

We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long in exchange for so little...we quit.

Actual:

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

John F. Kennedy, inaugural address, January 20, 1961

Amended

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, then it's clearly not free and we should work to enhance liberty and this will enhance prosperity. To seek to do otherwise just makes everyone equally poor.

I think therefore I am not about to waste my time proving my own existence.

I do not think, therefore...

Hi piz!

Following our Founders, how about

Identify what your country might do to you, then tell your country what it may not do to you.

Original:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

Redone:

The rights of the one outweigh the wants and needs of the many.

There's a line from a Smashing Pumpkins' song that I always thought was "The more you change the less you prove.", and while it is possible to change for the better, that's rarely the case. I've always like the sentiment because I've been the way I am for as long as I can remember. Turns out the song actually goes, "The more you change the less you feel", which I don't really even understand. Anyway, I only like a few songs from the band and wouldn't really recommend them, but I really liked that line.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Benjamin Franklin

"Those who would sacrifice cheese fries for temporary physical attractiveness deserve neither cheese fries nor physical attractiveness."

--Aretha Franklin

Sorry, but that's as clever as I get. :D

I had therefore to remove belief, in order to make room for knowledge.

Knowledge is only well-substantiated belief. Everything is belief. The only relevant question is whether a belief is true.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0