Mac

My Original Art on eBay

20 posts in this topic

My original art offered on eBay was a failure.

This was the first time around. A lot to learn, and a little help from an Objectivist salesman who has given me simple principles for a beginning teach-yourself salesman as I am. A lot to learn about eBay too. It's not so simple an auction site as I thought it was. I love to work with image files so once I learn it look for a better looking storefront.

Some of my original art I offered at eBay I've re-listed with a deep reduction in my reserve price. So have no fear. Go and bid! I've got to find the prices one is willing to pay. In fact my reduced prices are below what I think my artwork is worth. But how will I know unless you tell me with your bids?

On March 6 I shall list, or re-list my art for 10 days. And then again on the 16th for a 3-day trial. This last because we're driving to meet our new will-be 4-month-old grandson and will be gone for a few days.

Oh, I have more to sell than I thought I had when this started. Finding my artworks all over our cluttered house.

Go and bid. Win, and enjoy!

Bob

:rolleyes:

Thank you very much.

Best wishes on your house and an income.

Bob

Those are brilliant! When I get a house and a source of income, I'll remember your name.

Oh but a wish from me is simply added encouragement. I bet you have both the courage and the determination.

I don't need wishes, just determination :D

I am currently eagerly awaiting my book at the moment.

I look forward to a chance to purchase some art, as my favourite two peices sold off of Quent Cordair before I even discovered the site. Being "Fare Well" and "Small Details." I look forward to the opportunity to discover new gems and dissapoint some other soul when I outbid them... hopefully :rolleyes:

At least "Small Details" is in the book and just the way it looked in person, thanks to the excellent file I had of it and to the fine work of the publisher.

Robert

I am currently eagerly awaiting my book at the moment.

I look forward to a chance to purchase some art, as my favourite two peices sold off of Quent Cordair before I even discovered the site. Being "Fare Well" and "Small Details." I look forward to the opportunity to discover new gems and dissapoint some other soul when I outbid them... hopefully :rolleyes:

"Small Details" brought a big smile to my face. The girl is so cute. :rolleyes:

"Locomotive and Caboose" is one I could stare out, and the "sketchy" quality doesn't bother me. How long did it take you to make?

And I didn't really expect to, but I really like "Starlings in Winter". It's concise and lovely.

Yes. She's a doll. Her father won an award for DI of the year. And here she is, his daughter, making sure that he's squared away for a visit with his in-laws.

"Locomotive and Caboose". Took an hour or so. The deal was a competition for who would do the murals. I had to do it quick. A couple others are here: Warehouse and Barge and here: Moonwalk.

There were several entries and the county wanted one from each of the artists. I said I would do none unless I did them all. Truly I was the better of the entries, and they agreed. First works in paint I ever did.

Thank you for your comments on my "Starlings in Winter". It's much appreciated.

Robert

"Locomotive and Caboose" is one I could stare out, and the "sketchy" quality doesn't bother me. How long did it take you to make?

And I didn't really expect to, but I really like "Starlings in Winter". It's concise and lovely.

I wrote

On March 6 I shall list, or re-list my art for 10 days. And then again on the 16th for a 3-day trial. This last because we're driving to meet our new will-be 4-month-old grandson and will be gone for a few days.

I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense. Really all I meant by that is that I'll be gone for a while. I won't list new art work on eBay until after we return from visiting our daughter and son-in-law and meeting our new grandson.

So the new listings I put up today will not be changed until March 25.

Again, please bid. eBay is complex. One doesn't know what his market is unless he actually wins according to his offered prices. And the buyer doesn't know my reserve prices unless he bids. And I repeat, I'm finding I have to reduce my prices this second time around. But I can go only so low.

Cheers!

I am pleased to announce that as at 2am this morning (my time), I slept through my winning bid for the art work entitled "Pearl."

I posted elsewhere that I think eBay is one of the worst vehicle to sell original art. However, if you are set on using eBay, I would suggest you use a less anonymous name and establish at least 50 positive feedbacks. I assume the reserve prices are in the order of a few hundreds dollars?

I posted elsewhere that I think eBay is one of the worst vehicle to sell original art. However, if you are set on using eBay, I would suggest you use a less anonymous name and establish at least 50 positive feedbacks. I assume the reserve prices are in the order of a few hundreds dollars?

I'm trying eBay as one vehicle. Art galleries are not doing well from what I hear. So the artist must become a businessman.

Two things here. Looks like my name has generated as many positive feedbacks as can be in the time I've been at eBay--some 10 years. To start over again with a new name? Good idea. If I sell.

With one exception, yes. My reserves are pretty low.

Looks like my name has generated as many positive feedbacks as can be in the time I've been at eBay--some 10 years. To start over again with a new name? Good idea. If I sell.

I think you can change your name and keep your positive feedback. Check the eBay help pages.

I'm trying eBay as one vehicle. Art galleries are not doing well from what I hear. So the artist must become a businessman.

Two things here. Looks like my name has generated as many positive feedbacks as can be in the time I've been at eBay--some 10 years. To start over again with a new name? Good idea. If I sell.

With one exception, yes. My reserves are pretty low.

I suggest you keep your name, but have a signature created that clearly identifies you, in the main advertisement. I easily recognise sellers this way.

Looks like my name has generated as many positive feedbacks as can be in the time I've been at eBay--some 10 years. To start over again with a new name? Good idea. If I sell.

I think you can change your name and keep your positive feedback. Check the eBay help pages.

Done. Thanks again Betsy.

I suggest you keep your name, but have a signature created that clearly identifies you, in the main advertisement. I easily recognise sellers this way.

I've just changed my name. That was a lot of fun. Now you suggest something interesting. Will investigate.

Yes, eBay is fascinating.

I just picked up my painting of "Pearl" from FedEx. It is more beautiful than the pictures do it credit on eBay. Thanks a zillion Mac!

As it is my first experience with eBay (or buying art for that matter) I was quite thrilled with the process and the speedy delivery. It's amazing to think you can buy romanticist style art from the other side of the planet direct from the painter himself and have it on your doorstep three days later. Modern civilisation really is fantastic! :)

I just picked up my painting of "Pearl" from FedEx. It is more beautiful than the pictures do it credit on eBay. Thanks a zillion Mac!

As it is my first experience with eBay (or buying art for that matter) I was quite thrilled with the process and the speedy delivery. It's amazing to think you can buy romanticist style art from the other side of the planet direct from the painter himself and have it on your doorstep three days later. Modern civilisation really is fantastic! :)

Hi Rob!

I'm happy that you're happy with your painting. No matter how close I come in showing my art on the web--and I do come close--the original painting is indeed "more beautiful" than it's possible to show on the web. You really see "the artist's touch" fully.

You're quite welcome, Rob.

Sincerely,

Mac

"Locomotive and Caboose" was a quick sketch, maybe a couple of hours work.

"Small Details" is simply a Master Work. Of course, having been a Marine and in that exact location, and having a daughter later made it a little easy to compose. A Marine D.I. will make sure that every detail is caught. One mistake and you're in trouble. Now his little girl is inspecting him!

"Starlings in Winter" was a test case of how much I could get into so small a painting. I'm glad you like it.

Mac