ewv

Marshall University teaching Atlas Shrugged to business students

28 posts in this topic

More from Craig Biddle:
Monday, March 31, 2008

More on the Propriety of Donations with 'Strings'

Posted by Craig Biddle at 5:30 PM

The latest attack on BB&T’s educational donations—and on academic freedom—comes by way of this Charlotte Observer editorial, which opens with the obvious truth that “A public university's faculty and administration—not donors—should have the final say on the content of courses.” The editorial closes with the obvious truth that “it’s wrong to strike fund-raising deals that suggest a university's curriculum can be shaped by the highest bidder.” Unfortunately, what lies between those two undeniable truths is a series of non sequiturs, non-principles, and nonsense having nothing to do with the factual nature of BB&T’s grants.

Entire article

Wowsa! Certainly, Mr. Biddle can't be accused of mincing his words . . . and I'm glad for it. The transparently hypocritical nature of this BB&T-donation brouhaha defies belief.

Well done! I've been hoping to see this subject more explicitly debated in public. Hopefully, this is only the beginning. I'd love to see donors to colleges awake to the fact that they are and should be free to fund the teaching of rational ideas, and that they are not morally morally obliged to fund irrationality at the behest of the CUPs (common university parasites). It would be nice to see donors cutting off the blood supply of the CUPs for a change.

This was too annoying to read. I just had to post about it behind the enemy's lines. Here is what I posted (on the link Betsy provided):

Hypocrisy of the activist professors

Offering money does not force someone to accept it. The university has a choice to accept or not to accept. If they choose to accept - others have no right to restrict the actions the university chose by their own will. Such restriction is PRECISELY violation of the right of free speech - violation of the university's academic freedom to teach what it chooses.

The ones who dare to oppose freedom of speech by the name of "freedom of speech" are hypocrites, who have no interest in freedom, but an interest in controlling everyone's speech.