Dufresne

SkySails

10 posts in this topic

I have been following the progress of SkySails over the last couple of months. SkySails is a company that is developing a "towing kite wind propulsion system". It can be used to reduce energy costs for ships like cargo vessels and superyachts. Their website can be found here.

I have been following its growth since it investors were sought. I would have liked to see more press and competition since its inception given that it was such an obvious energy source to harness and the technologies to standardize and develop specific materials have been routinely used since the 1970s.

I do not understand the enthusiasm. Did not we already move away from sails because we found a more productive, time efficient way to transport.

Renewables are great, if they can be made faster, more efficient and cheaper than fossil fuels.

I'm not about to support anything for the tribal deity known as "the environment" at my own expense.

I do not understand the enthusiasm. Did not we already move away from sails because we found a more productive, time efficient way to transport.
It may appear like a step backwards at first but why shouldn't we use two energy sources instead of one if that results in higher profits?

Renewables are great, if they can be made faster, more efficient and cheaper than fossil fuels.

I'm not about to support anything for the tribal deity known as "the environment" at my own expense.

There is a false dichotomy between "renewables" and "fossil fuels". *Anything* can be made more efficiently and have a lower consumer price. A fossil fuel can be more expensive than another non-renewable or a renewable depending on the specific combinations of alterations to concept, method and use.

I'm not sure if your second sentence is a general statement or specific to the topic of this thread, but if specific to this thread, I'm not sure how SkySails is functioning at your expense.

It may appear like a step backwards at first but why shouldn't we use two energy sources instead of one if that results in higher profits?

Not to mention its success may force those in the same industry who don't want to use such/competing technology to change their business practices to become more productive or die off - or seek bankruptcy protection. Version 1.0, i.e. SkySails doesn't mean this is the most productive concretization of the idea, either. When it is profitable, and has the potential to generate greater profits with additional research, why not?

There is a false dichotomy between "renewables" and "fossil fuels". *Anything* can be made more efficiently and have a lower consumer price. A fossil fuel can be more expensive than another non-renewable or a renewable depending on the specific combinations of alterations to concept, method and use.

I'm not sure if your second sentence is a general statement or specific to the topic of this thread, but if specific to this thread, I'm not sure how SkySails is functioning at your expense.

It isn't at my expense; but should I ever be in the market (ha!) I will be choosing the best; and in my book that doesn't mean the "greenest"

It isn't at my expense; but should I ever be in the market (ha!) I will be choosing the best; and in my book that doesn't mean the "greenest"

Again, "best" in reality and something marketed as the "greenest" are not necessarily opposites. I'm not sure what your book consists of, but your ostensible focus on non-essentials thus far is the exact reason why 30% and up of patent applications to the USPTO are incorrectly rejected.

Again, "best" in reality and something marketed as the "greenest" are not necessarily opposites. I'm not sure what your book consists of, but your ostensible focus on non-essentials thus far is the exact reason why 30% and up of patent applications to the USPTO are incorrectly rejected.

I didn't assume such polars.