RayK

What a ride!

27 posts in this topic

I just got done driving a Ferrari F430 Spider and what a fun time it was. I was overwhelmed with the handling, the speed, the weight, the engine, in general the whole car.

With the top down and the sun out, I pulled up to the stop sign and found a hole in the traffic in which to slide into. Before I knew it I was passing cars that looked like they were standing still. With my sunglasses on and my hair blowing in the wind all I kept thinking is that this is how life should be.

I hope that any Objectivist that values this type of thing gets to drive one someday.

Below is a link to a car that looks just like the one I drove.

http://www.dealer.ferrari.com/detail?templ...&vidindex=1

I just got done driving a Ferrari F430 Spider and what a fun time it was. I was overwhelmed with the handling, the speed, the weight, the engine, in general the whole car.

With the top down and the sun out, I pulled up to the stop sign and found a hole in the traffic in which to slide into. Before I knew it I was passing cars that looked like they were standing still. With my sunglasses on and my hair blowing in the wind all I kept thinking is that this is how life should be.

I hope that any Objectivist that values this type of thing gets to drive one someday.

I want one, Ray. Especially hot red. How about taking a test drive out to Maryland and pick me up? :rolleyes:

Enjoy it while you can. Let us hope there will not be a future where a kid says; "Dad is it true that people used to be able to buy gasoline and drive wherever and whenever they wanted?

I want one, Ray. Especially hot red. How about taking a test drive out to Maryland and pick me up? :rolleyes:

At the speed that this car can go, I should be there soon. :D

Enjoy it while you can. Let us hope there will not be a future where a kid says; "Dad is it true that people used to be able to buy gasoline and drive wherever and whenever they wanted?

I intend on doing just that. I also intending on making sure that that type of future comes true.

Sounds like fun, Ray.

Ferrari Spider has a star-Ray rider,

And he's sliding through holes with a will.

Passing cars that need proving that they're really moving,

'Cause wherever he looks they stand still!

With sunglasses on out over the dawn,

And streamlets of hair drawing wind,

His face is a-gleam with his red-hot dream,

And his hands grasp the wheel of a win!

Top down, pedal down, uptown, downtown,

Under the sky so free,

Machine so loyal to life so royal---

How exhilarating it can be!

The excitement still has not worn off. My second sentence from above should read as below.

I also intending on making sure that that type of future does not come true.

Peak power of 490hp at 8500rpm!? The engine must be incredibly well made to be buzzing at that kind of rpm. I guess I'm just used to older muscle cars that produced more power down low. (like my brother's old Buick GS that is 500-600hp below 600rpm:D)

Peak power of 490hp at 8500rpm!? The engine must be incredibly well made to be buzzing at that kind of rpm. I guess I'm just used to older muscle cars that produced more power down low. (like my brother's old Buick GS that is 500-600hp below 600rpm:D)

I agree, old muscle cars are very nice, my dad had a Buick 442 and it seemed like it could almost fly. But, when you ride in a car like this that automatically adjust to every turn, brake or even the weight of the people in the car, it is amazing.

Just awesome, and great fun I'm sure. A tribute to great engineering and styling and a quite legitimate adult aspiration

I'm really, really hoping that's my next car but one !!

(Assuming the chancellor doesn't stick a £3,000 annual road tax on such cars, I'm so tax averse lately)

But anyway, how much do they retail for in the USA?

I agree, old muscle cars are very nice, my dad had a Buick 442 and it seemed like it could almost fly. But, when you ride in a car like this that automatically adjust to every turn, brake or even the weight of the people in the car, it is amazing.

Sorry, I made another mistake, my dad owned a Oldsmobile 442 as there is no such car as a Buick 442. My dad did own a Buick Estate Wagon which might not sound like much of a car, but it did have a 454 cubic engine with mags on the back and it could really move, for a station-wagon.

Just awesome, and great fun I'm sure. A tribute to great engineering and styling and a quite legitimate adult aspiration

(Assuming the chancellor doesn't stick a £3,000 annual road tax on such cars, I'm so tax averse lately)

I agree, what great styling and engineering. The car I drove was used with about 7,000 miles and it was priced around $200,000 U.S. dollars. I look forward to hearing about your purchase and driving experiences.

I agree, what great styling and engineering. The car I drove was used with about 7,000 miles and it was priced around $200,000 U.S. dollars. I look forward to hearing about your purchase and driving experiences.

Well, even if things go as planned it's a couple of years away yet, but I'll be sure to mention it if I get one. I was hoping they might be a bit cheaper in the USA but about £100,000 is what you would be looking at here.

I was hoping they might be a bit cheaper in the USA but about £100,000 is what you would be looking at here.

Plus a substantial dealer mark-up. (When first introduced, the 599 sold for twice the MSRP.)

Having done a lot of motorcycling has somewhat ruined me for cars. No car can compare to the equivalent bike for sensations (comfort now is something altogether different - as for safety, let's just not talk about it... :) )

Having done a lot of motorcycling has somewhat ruined me for cars. No car can compare to the equivalent bike for sensations (comfort now is something altogether different - as for safety, let's just not talk about it... :) )

I used to own a Kawasaki Ninja so I also enjoy riding a motorcycle. I think both the car and the motorcycle have their specific benefits. With a motorcycle I can pop a wheelly almost at will. With a high-end sports car I can take a turn at extremely fast speeds and slide/drift right through the turn. Both items offer challenges that can be rewarding when overcome.

I have taken 3 automobile driving courses, of which 2 were advanced, and 2 motorcycle riding courses of which one was advanced. I only mention this so that you all will not think I am nuts. On the other hand maybe you will think I am nuts. :)

With the top down and the sun out, I pulled up to the stop sign and found a hole in the traffic in which to slide into. Before I knew it I was passing cars that looked like they were standing still.

♫♫Son, you're gonna drive me to drinking, if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln.♫♫

I loved that song when I was young-er! :rolleyes:

I was recently talking with a young man (kid to me) who runs the quarter mile in his '97 Camaro. He adds another 800 hp to the existing 600 with Nitro, which just amazes me. Unfortunately, he's also blown the engine 3 times in the last 3 years. His wife also drives, but doesn't have as big of a nitro pak on her Mustang. It has to be a major rush when you push that button - which if given the opportunity, I'd do in a New York second. :rolleyes:

With the top down and the sun out, I pulled up to the stop sign and found a hole in the traffic in which to slide into. Before I knew it I was passing cars that looked like they were standing still.

♫♫Son, you're gonna drive me to drinking, if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln.♫♫

In some comments on YouTube this song was referred to as 'The Hot Rodder's National Anthem' and 'a gearhead's lullabye.' It was apparently written as an "answer" to an earlier song written by George Wilson, called "Hot Rod Race." Both songs were recorded many times. The version Lady Brin refers to is probably this one:

Hot Rod Lincoln by Charles Ryan & W.S. Stevenson - performed by Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen (1972)

Personnel: George Frayne, vocal & keyboard / Mark Emerick, guitar / Steve Barbuto, drums

The phrase that reminded her of the song is contained in this part:

Pulled outta San Pedro late one night,

the moon 'n' the stars was shinin' bright.

We was drivin' up Grapevine hill,

passin' cars like they was standin' still.

And here is (what is inaccurately called) a "short" history of "Hot Rod Lincoln." It's not short!

Rockabilly Hall of Fame - History & Evolution of "Hot Rod Lincoln"

In some comments on YouTube this song was referred to as 'The Hot Rodder's National Anthem' and 'a gearhead's lullabye.' It was apparently written as an "answer" to an earlier song written by George Wilson, called "Hot Rod Race." Both songs were recorded many times. The version Lady Brin refers to is probably this one:

Hot Rod Lincoln by Charles Ryan & W.S. Stevenson - performed by Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen (1972)

Personnel: George Frayne, vocal & keyboard / Mark Emerick, guitar / Steve Barbuto, drums

The phrase that reminded her of the song is contained in this part:

Pulled outta San Pedro late one night,

the moon 'n' the stars was shinin' bright.

We was drivin' up Grapevine hill,

passin' cars like they was standin' still.

And here is (what is inaccurately called) a "short" history of "Hot Rod Lincoln." It's not short!

Rockabilly Hall of Fame - History & Evolution of "Hot Rod Lincoln"

Thanks Rose - what a neat history. Yes, the '72 version was my fav - I was driving, when I had money for gas, my daddy's '56 Chevy with dual exhaust as I had just turned 16. Man could I spin the tires on that one.

All right, all right, the moderators don't like my notions about friends and romantic partners that are critical of Branden, but I just have to chime in to one of these gearhead threads; LOLOLOL And Brin, that Hot Rod Lincoln line just pushed me over the edge. LOLOLOL

You gearheads have just got to try one of the new generation Mini Cooper Ss. They slide forgivingly right at the limit and they turn-in "like a go kart." There's none of that evil mid and rear engine trailing/off throttle snap oversteer that I hated in the Toyota Mr2s and X1/9s (and which I've read about in the 911 style Porsches.) The iron block 2002-2006 engine is very stout with numerous forged pieces can be easily hopped up to get an extra 40-50 hp.

And after that, I've got an aerobatic plane or 2 for you to try........

Flyboy Steve