Paul's Here

Safari Browser

12 posts in this topic

I just started using Safari browser from Apple. I can't believe it, but it downloads pages at more than 2 times faster than IE and at about 2 times faster than Firefox. Does anyone know how it works so much faster? I love the integrated spell and grammar checker. It checks spelling and grammar as I type.

I can't use it, as I'm using Linux. But when I tried it in OS X I wasn't too keen.

I tend to use either Firefox or Epiphany.

The biggest downer I've experienced with the new IE is this: Windows own search engine runs much faster on firefox than it does on IE! (talk about pathetic)

I don't use Safari and don't know why it's quicker. But to make FireFox (and possibly IE) quicker, try looking up Pipelining. For sites that support it you can increase page load times to a phenomenal rate.

Also, if you're a FireFox user you can try adding this to "about:config"

integer preference: nglayout.initialpaint.delay

value: 0

Makes it render immediately as oppose to waiting... don't know why that isn't on by default!? Plugins are available that automate the process of fiddling with connection and pipeline settings also.

It is perhaps the reason why Safari is quicker. Firefox defaults to 4 connections at any one time. Safari might default to 8. (I have mine edited to 30) :)

One issue I have have just found out about is that Safari has a huge memory leak, i.e., it sucks up memory (even when you're not using it) and doesn't return it to the operating system until you close the program. This has not been a problem for me yet, as I do not run that many applications at the same time. But I've read people complain that Safari sucks upwards of 1 GB of memory if you let it run long enough. The net result is that your system speed comes to a crawl.

One issue I have have just found out about is that Safari has a huge memory leak, i.e., it sucks up memory (even when you're not using it) and doesn't return it to the operating system until you close the program. This has not been a problem for me yet, as I do not run that many applications at the same time. But I've read people complain that Safari sucks upwards of 1 GB of memory if you let it run long enough. The net result is that your system speed comes to a crawl.

How credible is this? Try using Activity Monitor to see how much Safari uses (I've never seen this kind of memory sucking behavior)

Oh, and if you want to find Activity Monitor quickly, use Spotlight :) (it should be in the folder 'Utilities', which is in the Applications folder)

How credible is this? Try using Activity Monitor to see how much Safari uses (I've never seen this kind of memory sucking behavior)

Oh, and if you want to find Activity Monitor quickly, use Spotlight :) (it should be in the folder 'Utilities', which is in the Applications folder)

I'm using Windows XP. I open Task Manager and can see the amount of memory each application uses. The number increases when I open tabs but doesn't decrease when I close the tab. The number increases when I just leave the application alone without doing anything to it. I'm no expert on the matter, but it has to do with a conflict between two internal memory managers that Windows and Safari use. Do a search for "memory leak, safari" and you'll come up with a lot of people who cite what is going on.

I'm using Windows XP. I open Task Manager and can see the amount of memory each application uses. The number increases when I open tabs but doesn't decrease when I close the tab. The number increases when I just leave the application alone without doing anything to it. I'm no expert on the matter, but it has to do with a conflict between two internal memory managers that Windows and Safari use. Do a search for "memory leak, safari" and you'll come up with a lot of people who cite what is going on.

Ok, I thought you were using a mac; ignore what I said then!

Currently, I use Opera 9.26. It's free, available here. I have 10 tabs open, some of which are buffering online video, and am seeding Fitna on the integrated bittorrent client within Opera. Task Manager is reporting a 106 megs of RAM being chewed up by Opera. And best of all, I can make the whole color match my Vista color scheme - purple!

I'm not exactly impressed by Safari. Partly, this is because it insisted on being installed in a sneaky way (I refused, but I still find the opt-out update annoying). It still seems more sluggish to load the program and web pages than Opera (even though set connections are 8 in both). Add in the Apple-induced lack of customization and plug-ins, and I fail to see the adoration of Safari. But at least it's looks as simple as iTunes. :)

Just a word of caution, Paul... two major problems were found with Safari, one of which could allow a hacker to gain complete access to the computer Safari is running on. So far there's no update.

For anyone else, that is Safari 3.1 for Windows, not Mac.

I don't see why anyone would want to use Safari in Windows. Opera is a much better browser, Safari under its native Mac is a clunker and resource hog (it's taking 144MB real mem, and 847MB Virtual mem right now and this is the only page and tab I have open! I'm still on an old PPC, and that might make a difference), I can't imagine it being any better in Windows. If I had any real demands for my browser, or resources, I'd be using something other than Safari.