Stephen Speicher

Atlas Shrugged

Rate this book   88 votes

1. 1. Rate this book

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

However, something's bothered me since I finished the book: in my mind, John Galt's personality wasn't as well defined as Francisco's. I know how Francisco would laugh, sit on the floor, smile when telling a joke, stand while making scrambled eggs, etc. I've never been able to imagine these things about Galt.

That's because, plot-wise, Galt was the Mystery Man for 2/3 of the book.

Once he reveals himself, however, we see him "on screen" in his home in the Valley, at the breakfast table with Dagny, partying with old friends, etc. Next time you read Atlas, notice and savor those scenes and see if that doesn't make Galt more real for you.

That's because, plot-wise, Galt was the Mystery Man for 2/3 of the book.

Once he reveals himself, however, we see him "on screen" in his home in the Valley, at the breakfast table with Dagny, partying with old friends, etc. Next time you read Atlas, notice and savor those scenes and see if that doesn't make Galt more real for you.

I'm just at that point (in the valley) now, in my first reading of Atlas in 12 years. Not only has the whole novel been clearer to me this, my fourth (through) reading, but Galt himself is much clearer and fuller than I had remembered. So, if Galt seemed less real to me before, it wasn't because of the writing, it was me.

Next time you read Atlas, notice and savor those scenes and see if that doesn't make Galt more real for you.
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep this in mind on my next read.

This must be why the Dagny-Galt romance never made complete sense to me. Without a clear image of Galt in my mind, I was left rooting for Francisco, the character I knew best. Funny; I always thought I rooted for him just because his personality is similar to mine, and my brother's...

Wait -- was I introspecting out loud? :(