Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
piz

Mushrooms!

5 posts in this topic

I didn't start eating mushrooms until high school, but since then I have yet to find a way I don't like them. What do you do with them? Any favorite recipes? Here's one of mine - simple, delicious, and a great alternative to breaded mushrooms, which seem to be the only kind of deep-fried 'shrooms out there any more:

Deep-Fried Mushrooms*

20 fresh mushrooms

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 cup flour

1/2 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp vegetable oil

3/4 cup water

1/4 cup cornstarch

4 cups oil for deep-frying

1. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth and cut off the stems.
  2. To make the batter: In a medium bowl, sift the baking powder into the flour. Add the sugar, salt, and vegetable oil, stirring. Add the water, and stir into a smooth batter. Add a bit more water if the batter is too dry, or flour if it is too wet. Use a wooden spoon to test the batter - it should drop slowly, and be able to coat the back of the spoon.
  3. Lightly dust the mushrooms with cornstarch and coat with the batter, using your fingers.
  4. Add the oil to a preheated wok and heat to 350°F. When the oil is ready, add about 5 mushrooms at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Cool and serve.

*From Parkinson, Rhonda L. The Everything Chinese Cookbook. Avon, MA: Adams Media Corp., 2003. 47.

(bibliography listing by EasyBib - ain't the internet cool?)

That recipe sounds delicious, especially as a kind of tapas for drinks. I'll certainly give it a try.

Like you, I adore mushrooms of every variety and my favorite way is the simplest, most straightforward approach. I use Julia Child's full-proof method:

2 tablespoons UNSALTED butter

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 pound fresh mushrooms of your choice, cleaned with damp cloth and sliced if large

Salt and pepper to taste

Snipped fresh chives or minced parsely, for garnish

Place a 10-inch skillet (preferably enameled if you have one) over HIGH HEAT with butter and oil.

As soon as you see that the butter foam has begun to subside (this indicates the butter and oil are hot enough), add the mushrooms.

Toss and shake the pan for 4 to 5 minutes. During their sauté, the mushrooms will at first absorb the fat. In 2 to 3 minutes, however, the fat will reappear on the surface, and the mushrooms will begin to brown.

As soon as mushrooms have browned to a light golden color, remove from heat and add salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh snipped chives or minced parsley, and serve.

"stuffed mushrooms"

Field mushrooms, de-stalked.

Fill cap with a mixture of peregrino cheese (or other 'hard' italian cheese) and bacon bits (mix cheese and bacon to personal taste... I prefer less bacon bits)

fry face down till cheese "sets" (i.e. cheese doesn't run out of cap)

then fry on other side till mushroom is cooked...

then eat.

Fried in a frying pan, with minimal lubricant of choice. I use canola oil VERY sparingly... i.e. use canola oil to heat up pan then pour excess off at heat point so as all that is left is the residue.

Stuffed mushrooms

* whole fresh mushrooms

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

* 1 tablespoon minced garlic

* 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened

* 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder

* 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat then add garlic and chopped mushroom stems. Fry until all moisture has disappeared, taking care not to burn the garlic. Set aside to cool. When the mixture is no longer hot (but still warm), stir in cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and listed spices. Mixture should be very thick. Using a spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing. Sprinkle the tops with shredded Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven at 350F.

YUM!!!

I didn't start eating mushrooms until high school,

EEEEEEEEck, I don't eat anything that has fungus as part of its name.

Actually, I don't mind the taste, I just dislike the squeaky feel in my mouth. I definitely, definitely can't eat them fresh. I'd rather bite into an onion. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0