Betsy Speicher

What’s Wrong With Hollywood?

11 posts in this topic

oldsalt can't post this herself right now, so I am doing it for her:

I offer the following bit from Dr. Hanson's Works and Days, hattip to Instapundit.

http://mt.pajamasmedia.com/xpress/victorda...tes_or_jack.php

Victor Davis Hanson

April 19, 2008 10:25 PM

Give Me a Warren Oates or Jack Palance Any Day

This is an entry in his daily blog, and is followed by a bit on Obama, and the connections to be made culturally between the two. There are some of the most interesting comments that follow and I urge you to take the time to read.

There isn't anything that those I know here would find surprising, necessarily. It is the connections, the truth of the connections, and especially, the sometimes wonderful insights offered by the commenters.

Enjoy.

Favorite quotes from the comments so far:

Bill Whittle :

Dr. Hansen,

My day job is as editor of SHOOTOUT on AMC, a movie-business talk show hosted by Peter Bart of Variety and producer Peter Guber. Every week we examine the complete spectrum of Hollywood political thought, from far left on one hand all the way to extreme left on the other.

The degree to which the decision-makers live in a liberal-cliche bubble simply boggles the mind, and it would be amusing if it were not so tragic to see these very bright people struggling to understand why the movies that portray Americans' fathers and sons, mothers and daughters in uniform as baby-murdering rapists somehow -- bafflingly! -- do not do well at the box office.

Don :

Where are the good war movies? They're on the PC, PS3 and Xbox. Check out Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. 3 million copies moved at $50 bucks a pop. Been on the market since last year, and still one of, if not the, top seller in the vid game industry in the first quarter of 2008. It's set in the contemporary world, with, SURPRISE, the Yanks and the Brits as the good guys taking on the real threats. Just check the teaser video linking missions in the game by Youtube'ing Call of Duty 4 - Splintered Edge, click on the one listed for MichaelBarnes. A couple more generations of tech, and who'll need Hollywood?

oldsalt can't post this herself right now, so I am doing it for her:
I offer the following bit from Dr. Hanson's Works and Days, hattip to Instapundit.

http://mt.pajamasmedia.com/xpress/victorda...tes_or_jack.php

Victor Davis Hanson

April 19, 2008 10:25 PM

Give Me a Warren Oates or Jack Palance Any Day

This is an entry in his daily blog, and is followed by a bit on Obama, and the connections to be made culturally between the two. There are some of the most interesting comments that follow and I urge you to take the time to read.

There isn't anything that those I know here would find surprising, necessarily. It is the connections, the truth of the connections, and especially, the sometimes wonderful insights offered by the commenters.

Enjoy.

Janet and Betsy, thank you for the link. A lot of excellent comments and a pleasure to read.

I have actually played Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and it is a good game. My son's and I spent hours going on missions and wiping out the bad guys. The only problem I have with the game is that you cannot play the story line with two players.

Yes, my thanks to Janet and Betsy, too. It was a good piece with really excellent comments.

At the risk of veering slightly off topic, I have been reading a lot of the comments that accompany news stories or opinion pieces, particularly regarding politics and the presidential race. What has struck me is how predictive these comments are. For example, I recall reading a lot of comments back in November and December regarding the Obama/Hillary battle and it seemed pretty clear even then that, at a minimum, Obama would give her a significant challenge. So many people who wrote in voiced their disgust with Hillary and/or Bill, if not outright support of Obama, and I took it that these were mostly Democrats.

I have written elsewhere that the "undercurrent" of political discourse among regular citizens has real power, with these comment sections being just one manifestation of that. It seems that one can get a clearer sense of real or likely trends (at least short-term, say, 2-4 months) by reading such things as the comment sections rather than the news stories to which they refer.

Thanks for this link, Janet and Betsy! I couldn't agree with him more which is, no doubt, one of the reasons why I don't go to the movies that much anymore (I saw only 3 movies in a theater last year -- 300, Ratatouille and National Treasure 2, the latter of which I rather enjoyed). I was particularly taken by one of the comments that made a point of the dismal portrayal of men on television. I don't watch sitcoms and network shows as a rule, and whenever I do catch one of them, or of an equally questionable commercial, I'm stunned.

Thanks for this link, Janet and Betsy! I couldn't agree with him more which is, no doubt, one of the reasons why I don't go to the movies that much anymore (I saw only 3 movies in a theater last year -- 300, Ratatouille and National Treasure 2, the latter of which I rather enjoyed). I was particularly taken by one of the comments that made a point of the dismal portrayal of men on television. I don't watch sitcoms and network shows as a rule, and whenever I do catch one of them, or of an equally questionable commercial, I'm stunned.

I agree about the way men are portrayed on sitcoms and in commercials - it's angered me for decades now.

This reminds me of what I thought even at the time was a seminal moment in sitcom history: the very first episode of The Cosby Show.

, especially beginning at about the 2:50 point.

With that, in a matter of a few moments Cosby single-handedly reversed a trend in sticoms that had developed through the 70s and early 80s in shows such as Diff'rent Strokes, where parents were getting the same treatment vs. their children as men still get vs. women . After that, sitcom parents were respected again, without demeaning the children, and as far as I can tell that has continued ever since.

Something similar needs to happen for sitcom men.

This reminds me of what I thought even at the time was a seminal moment in sitcom history: the very first episode of The Cosby Show.
, especially beginning at about the 2:50 point.

I love the bit at about 4 minutes in. All of the sappy modern B.S. about loving me for who I am and Bill Cosby's response is brilliant!

I have actually played Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and it is a good game. My son's and I spent hours going on missions and wiping out the bad guys. The only problem I have with the game is that you cannot play the story line with two players.

I suggest playing Halo 3 (a sci-fi shooter with ultra-religious alien baddies) my dad and I had a great time playing through the story-mode co-op.

I suggest playing Halo 3 (a sci-fi shooter with ultra-religious alien baddies) my dad and I had a great time playing through the story-mode co-op.

My son's and I have played the first 2 but have not had a chance to play the 3 yet. Thanks for the recommendation.

I watch very little TV today because there is very little that is inspiring. And I agree with what has already been stated about most sitcoms and their examples of men. What I do not think most people grasp while watching most of these shows is that they are not just making fun of men, but also the women. What type of woman would want to marry an idiot like they portray? If all a man does it sit around and burp, fart, and watch sports all the time, then how in the hell did he convince this woman that he was ever worthy of marriage?