DoctorOfMusic

Root beer

20 posts in this topic

Any other root beer lovers out there?

It is my favorite carbonated beverage, my current favorite brand being Stewart's: smooth, creamy, not too "sassafrassy" and not too sweet.

Other good ones are: Thoman Kemper and Henry Weinhard.

My all-time favorite, though, was the A & W root beer served at their stands in the frosted mug. Their bottled/canned stuff is nowhere nearly as good.

Definitely.

I grew up in Philadelphia, so my favorite is Hires.

My all-time favorite, though, was the A & W root beer served at their stands in the frosted mug. Their bottled/canned stuff is nowhere nearly as good.

There's an A&W/KFC combo I've been to a few times, which has a root beer tap separate from the soda fountain. So delicious.

I'm a Barq's fan. I also love their red creme soda.

theDML2112

I like root beer, but I generally prefer birch beer. On a school field trip many years ago, we toured a what was then the Schafer brewery, outside of Allentown, PA. (Remember Schafer beer, Betsy? "The one beer to have when you're having more than one!" :)). Since we weren't old enough to sample actual beer at the end of the tour, they gave us, on tap, freshly brewed white birch beer (which looks much like pale lager, even as far as having a similar head of foam). It was unbelievably delicious. I've never found anything like it since.

I like root beer, but I generally prefer birch beer. On a school field trip many years ago, we toured a what was then the Schafer brewery, outside of Allentown, PA. (Remember Schafer beer, Betsy? "The one beer to have when you're having more than one!" :)). Since we weren't old enough to sample actual beer at the end of the tour, they gave us, on tap, freshly brewed white birch beer (which looks much like pale lager, even as far as having a similar head of foam). It was unbelievably delicious. I've never found anything like it since.

Sounds dee-lish.

I found this link and although it is not the same company you mentioned I think I will be ordering:

http://www.kutztownbottlingworks.com/store...whitebirch.html

I found this link and although it is not the same company you mentioned I think I will be ordering:

http://www.kutztownbottlingworks.com/store...whitebirch.html

Wow, small world - that's located less than half an hour from my house. In fact, on Sunday I'll be at the Kutztown University Renaissance Faire.* I'll see if I can find the place.

_____

*The cast of the ren faire I'm in is going there, in character, to practice our crowd-working skills for our own faire. :)

I absolutely love root beer. My favorite is Henry Weinhard's, but Thomas Kemper is good too. I always put glasses in the freezer when I'm going to have a root beer. The frosted glass makes it that much better.

In the mountains in Washinton there's a little Bavarian-esque village called Leavenworth, and in it there's this really cool restaurant called Gustav's. Whenever I go backpacking or climbing in the area, I always stop at the end of the trip. They have amazing burgers and Thomas Kemper root beer on tap. I've never tasted anything as good as root beer on tap when I've been in the backcountry for days and am utterly exhausted.

While root beer is definitely my favorite, I once had a soda that was either birch beer or sasparilla. I don't remember which, but it was amazing. I think it was sasparilla, but I can't remember and I haven't been able to find either one since. If I remember correctly, one of them is a little bitter and the other was fairly sweet- I liked the sweeter one, if anybody knows which that might be.

Remember Schafer beer, Betsy? "The one beer to have when you're having more than one!"

Oh yes! I even recall that doctors would prescribe it for women who were pregnant with twins.

There's an A&W/KFC combo I've been to a few times, which has a root beer tap separate from the soda fountain. So delicious.

A&W is my favorite. I love it when it's icy cold, in a frosty mug and accompanied by a bag of crispy onion rings, A&W's two best food items. I also love IBC root beer in a bottle. I've often had it at some small road side store on a weekend trip somewhere, which makes for good memories as well.

I've never tried it. Is it anything like ginger beer?

No, it's sweeter and darker. I never really understood the "beer" part, though I suppose if you poured enough sucrose into Guinness, you might get something pretty close to it.

Up in Wisconsin, they swear by Sprecher. Of course, the four food groups there are beer, brats, cheese, and frozen custard. I can't speak too badly about them, though. That's where wealthy Chicagoans build summer homes, and there are lot worse things to be doing than washing down a "butter burger" and frozen custard with a Sprecher.

I've never tried it. Is it anything like ginger beer?

No, it's sweeter and darker. I never really understood the "beer" part, though I suppose if you poured enough sucrose into Guinness, you might get something pretty close to it.

Ouch! No, not really. :D There's no alcohol in root beer. In fact, there's not really anything from regular beer or its relatives in root beer. IIRC, all they have in common is that they're both brewed.

(My whole upper body goes "bbbluggh!" just thinking about adding sugar to Guinness. Yukko!)

It's difficult to get root beer in Europe, but a couple of days ago, I found an Australian brand in a small grocery store. This is the first time I tried it and now I can understand why y'alls love it!

Definitely.

I love root beer, but my favorite drink would have to be either Coca Cola in a Glass bottle or Creme Soda. Still, I love root beer. Probably A&W is the best, but that might just be because I've grown up with it.

Definitely.

Hires is very good. You used to be able to buy Hires extract and make root beer at home with sugar and yeast.

I suppose it was slightly alcoholic.

However, whenever I go back to Vermont to visit I always plan to stop at Al's French Fries. There I can

have a munute steak or pepper steak and real french fries made from fresh cut potatos, and a frosty

mug of Richardson's root beer.