Betsy Speicher

David Arkenstone

12 posts in this topic

David Arkenstone is my favorite contemporary composer.

I've written about him before here

Here's a real treat for melody-lovers and those who appreciate rich, complex, sensual, dramatic compositions. Give a listen to New Age composer and performer David Arkenstone (click here).

Now, thanks to YouTube, I'll share one of Arkenstone's lovely compositions with you: "Heart of Spring" from his album, The Celtic Book of Days.

I suggest you ignore the pretty flowers in the video and just listen to the music seeing whatever pictures come to mind. Personally, when I hear Arkenstone, I want to dance and I have choreographed several dances to his music. When I hear "Heart of Spring" I see a young girl awakening to the sensual joys of love.

Enjoy! (click here)

David Arkenstone is my favorite contemporary composer.

I've written about him before here

Here's a real treat for melody-lovers and those who appreciate rich, complex, sensual, dramatic compositions. Give a listen to New Age composer and performer David Arkenstone (click here).

Now, thanks to YouTube, I'll share one of Arkenstone's lovely compositions with you: "Heart of Spring" from his album, The Celtic Book of Days.

I suggest you ignore the pretty flowers in the video and just listen to the music seeing whatever pictures come to mind. Personally, when I hear Arkenstone, I want to dance and I have choreographed several dances to his music. When I hear "Heart of Spring" I see a young girl awakening to the sensual joys of love.

Enjoy! (click here)

Thank-you, Betsy. Although I don't listen to this type of music that much and was unfamiliar with David Arkenstone, I enjoyed that.

Although I don't listen to this type of music that much and was unfamiliar with David Arkenstone, I enjoyed that.

Here's another you may like and, this time, I'll recommend the video as well. The video of "Song of Sheherazade" was made to accompany, and included on, Arkenstone's album Myths and Legends.

It features Arkenstone's son Dash as King Shahryar and the lovely Jessica Smith as Sheherazade. (

)

I'm familiar with David Arkenstone's work. He did a great CD themed around Middle Earth and has a beautiful Christmas album available. His wife, Diane, also has a beautiful voice and CD's of her own.

theDML2112

Although I don't listen to this type of music that much and was unfamiliar with David Arkenstone, I enjoyed that.

Here's another you may like and, this time, I'll recommend the video as well. The video of "Song of Sheherazade" was made to accompany, and included on, Arkenstone's album Myths and Legends.

It features Arkenstone's son Dash as King Shahryar and the lovely Jessica Smith as Sheherazade. (

)

Thanks again, Betsy. I actually enjoyed the Song of Sheherezade (and the video clip) even more than Heart of Spring! I'll have to look up Myths and Legends.

Thanks again, Betsy. I actually enjoyed the Song of Sheherezade (and the video clip) even more than Heart of Spring!

Then I'll bet you'll like "The Cello's Song" (

). (Ignore the slide show of pretty pictures and just listen to the music.)
I'll have to look up Myths and Legends.

My favorite introduction to David Arkenstone is a collection of his early work called "Chronicles." The entire album is available for download from mp3Fiesta.com (a great resource!) for only $1.98 (here). You can also download individual tracks for 20 cents each and my favorites are "The Rug Merchant" (I choreographed a Sheherezade-like dance number to it), "Papillon (On the Wings of the Butterfly)" (would be wonderful for a ladies figure-skating long program), "The Southern Cross" (ditto for a mens skater), "Out of the Forest and into the Trees" (a lively Latin number), "Glory" (a stirring anthem written for the Olympics), the formal and dignified "Stepping Stars," and the mysterious "Borderlands."

My favorite introduction to David Arkenstone is a collection of his early work called "Chronicles." The entire album is available for download from mp3Fiesta.com (a great resource!) for only $1.98 (here). You can also download individual tracks for 20 cents each and my favorites are "The Rug Merchant" (I choreographed a Sheherezade-like dance number to it), "Papillon (On the Wings of the Butterfly)" (would be wonderful for a ladies figure-skating long program), "The Southern Cross" (ditto for a mens skater), "Out of the Forest and into the Trees" (a lively Latin number), "Glory" (a stirring anthem written for the Olympics), the formal and dignified "Stepping Stars," and the mysterious "Borderlands."

You can also get a free listen to these full tracks, with very good sound quality, at last.fm. To hear "Chronicles" go here, click on the play button next to the number of the track you want to hear, and wait a little while for the music to start.

Thanks for mentioning that "mp3fiesta" site, Betsy, I was not aware of it. That's the cheapest source for mp3's I've seen yet, with a good catalogue of artists.

"NapsterFree" is also a good one for previewing music. You can listen to almost any song for free, three times.

Given what I've read of the pricing terms for Apple for iTunes by the publishers, I was very surprised to see figures such as $0.20/track or $1.98/album. Some quick searching uncovered that mp3fiesta.com is dubious at best, and it's apparently a *Russian* company. There are lot of links but these are particularly interesting:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/298599

As an independant musician who found that I have records of mine sold on this site, I can confirm that this is a total scam and that no artists are paid. This is not debatable, this is a fact.
I am a producer and hold the copyright to a music CD that managed to find its way on this site and have never received a dime; nor was I asked for permission. I can only assume that I am not alone in this matter.

I definitely won't be giving them money.

Given what I've read of the pricing terms for Apple for iTunes by the publishers, I was very surprised to see figures such as $0.20/track or $1.98/album. Some quick searching uncovered that mp3fiesta.com is dubious at best, and it's apparently a *Russian* company.

[...]

I had no idea! I guess I won't be using them either.

What about last.fm? Are they legit?

Given what I've read of the pricing terms for Apple for iTunes by the publishers, I was very surprised to see figures such as $0.20/track or $1.98/album. Some quick searching uncovered that mp3fiesta.com is dubious at best, and it's apparently a *Russian* company. There are lot of links but these are particularly interesting:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/298599

As an independant musician who found that I have records of mine sold on this site, I can confirm that this is a total scam and that no artists are paid. This is not debatable, this is a fact.
I am a producer and hold the copyright to a music CD that managed to find its way on this site and have never received a dime; nor was I asked for permission. I can only assume that I am not alone in this matter.

Nor will I.

Before I bought anything, I became suspicious when I found that all The Beatles' music is available there.

It has been reported that when it is released, all the Beatles' music will be made available to all online music sellers, not just with one site or another in an exclusive deal. But that hasn't happened yet, so clearly this site is fraudulent.