piz

Social Networking Sites

24 posts in this topic

I've never understood why social sites like MySpace are so enormously popular. I can't think of a reason why I'd want to bother. What's the big deal?

It's fun.

It is neat to hook-up with friends who do not live near you, and to see what they are doing. It is also a great way to keep everybody's birthday known (it gives you a notice when someone's birthday is near).

However, you do have to be careful. Sometimes, people could leave comments or personal jokes which can be taken out of context, and you can catch the blame for something that was nothing more than a joke or something that you were not involved in (of course the other person's fault, but still-you need to be careful what is "represented" on your page). Jobs are now looking at these sites as almost a "background check".

I've never understood why social sites like MySpace are so enormously popular. I can't think of a reason why I'd want to bother. What's the big deal?

It's like THE FORUM for non-Objectivists.

Yaron Brook is active on Facebook :D.

Maybe if I came to The Forum to check out your latest bikini photos or to catch up on the latest activity of the ex of some members - then I'd agree.

In other words, I don't think facebook is the same to other people as The Forum is for its members.

People here enjoy thinking, they don't enjoy prying into every possible detail about the lives of others, how much they weight, who did they date etc'.

I think the difference in our impression of what facebook is to people comes from different levels of exposure to people's approach to it. I've heard a lot of people my age (or so) talk about it, and it never looks pretty.

It's one thing to use facebook to find people of interest to you, or to hook up with old friends, but this is not what people make of it. This is not why it's popular, in my opinion.

For them it's a huge source of gossip, with some weird connection to their own self-esteem ("yey! all those people from highschool ask to be my friends now! I'm popular, yey!!" <-- dude, get a life)

Maybe if I came to The Forum to check out your latest bikini photos or to catch up on the latest activity of the ex of some members - then I'd agree.

Perhaps I should have said, "THE FORUM is like MySpace for Objectivists." :D

As for the bikini photos, that's what our PMs are for.:D

Hm. This is going to completely change the nature of the PMs I send.

And in case anyone was getting any ideas, there do not exist any bikini photos of me. barf.gif

Hm. This is going to completely change the nature of the PMs I send.

And in case anyone was getting any ideas, there do not exist any bikini photos of me. barf.gif

Would it matter? Your avatar shows you completely naked.

It's fun.

OMGLOLTEHINTERNETS ;-)

I only do Facebook, because it is slightly less embarrassing than the 15 year olds on MySpace.

Would it matter? Your avatar shows you completely naked.

Ah! My cleverly disguised fur coat works! (It's to stop the loonies throwing paint on me.)

It's fun.

OMGLOLTEHINTERNETS ;-)

I only do Facebook, because it is slightly less embarrassing than the 15 year olds on MySpace.

Hah, there is nothing to be embarrassed about when using face book. There have been many times in which it was the only method which I could contact someone (plus it is fun to be up-to-date on gossip :-D.)

But, it also good to remember when people's birthdays are, because I can assure there have been many times that I did not know when someone's birthday is, and got in serious trouble because of it. :-P Also, it is an excellent way to contact people, because most people check it pretty regularly. And one of the best things about it is it is constantly evolving. For instance, they recently added a new chat feature in which I think will give AOL Instant Messenger a run for it's money.

But, on what ifatart said; a lot of that is true. There have been many times I have spoken to someone once or twice in my life and now we are facebook friends. The worst I see though is when people write on other's wall for the one reason to get comments back.

I think sites like that are popular, because they allow you to efficiently network with a massively huge number of people all over the world. It's different from forums, because on sites like that you set up your own personal homepage and then connect to whomever you wish, though they must accept you and you must accept them. There is no theme holding such sites together, as there are with forums, except the idea that you can easily connect with others who are on the same site. They also aren't dating sites, so there is no pressure like that. It's just about meeting people and you can be as committed as you want to the whole thing.

Also, I note there are lots of people who have an interest or hobby and set up a themed page, e.g. Criss Angel fans sites, someone looking to get his music heard, people into cooking, etc. In fact, I find myspace a good place to find music to listen too, because lots of popular groups are on there and the supply some of their most popular tracks, usually.

Does no one remember the first days of Geocities? Most websites presented just such information, and were thrown together primarily to show off to friends. There were also “guestbooks” where friends could leave each other messages. I see Myspace and Facebook as merely templates in response to that demand, coded specifically to showcase personal information and to network. It’s really nothing new.

My mom has been trying to get me to make a Facebook page so we can play scrabulous. :D

Is Scrabulous a game designed specifically to be played on Facebook pages? (Discounting the fact that it's an obvious Scrabble ripoff...)

Does no one remember the first days of Geocities? Most websites presented just such information, and were thrown together primarily to show off to friends. There were also “guestbooks” where friends could leave each other messages. I see Myspace and Facebook as merely templates in response to that demand, coded specifically to showcase personal information and to network. It’s really nothing new.

I didn't say it was "new". It is efficient.

I remember geocities, but it could be that the interface was too clunky and less people were Internet savvy at the time. Also, remember dial-ups were more common than high speed and that makes a difference as well. Timing is an issue when it comes to ideas. I mean, one of the reasons Youtube is so successful is because you can get video on demand, real-time. There is no waiting around. Ten years ago that wasn't possible. There are also issues of the improvement of hardware and what people can afford.

I should also add, myspace, youtube, etc., are ways to market yourself and get noticed with almost no cost.

My mom has been trying to get me to make a Facebook page so we can play scrabulous. :D

If my parents ever made there way onto Facebook, I would be taking cover from the gigantic asteroid about to slam into the Earth...

I like it because it allows me to have a one-stop place to keep up on all the people I've known over the years, whether through school, work, or just being friends. It sorting of streamlines the whole ordeal of keeping in touch, which I'm not very good at.

Plus, I'm a big fan of Facebook stalking. (Not as creepy as it sounds, lol).

It's fun.

It is.

BTW, did you know that you are one of my top matches in "Likeness?" :D

P.S. Completely unrelated: is Bumble & Bumble's clay-type product good for texture? I know B&B is ossum, but I'd love to hear if you have another recommendation. :D

QUOTE(free spirit @ May 3 2008, 06:29 PM) *

It's fun.

It is.

BTW, did you know that you are one of my top matches in "Likeness?" cool.gif

P.S. Completely unrelated: is Bumble & Bumble's clay-type product good for texture? I know B&B is ossum, but I'd love to hear if you have another recommendation. smile.gif

LOL I know!

We are very similar on a lot of things.

RE: Bumble&Bumble: I personally have never worked with B&B, but I really love "Threads" by Sebastian. It's described as a "microfiber cream. It's quite tacky, and gives a ton of texture and shine and stays malleable without getting hard.

I actually just took up a position on a hairstyling website to answer just these questions.... I'll unveil the address soon and with Betsy's permission. :D

Sorry to get off topic!

I like it because it allows me to have a one-stop place to keep up on all the people I've known over the years, whether through school, work, or just being friends. It sorting of streamlines the whole ordeal of keeping in touch, which I'm not very good at.

Plus, I'm a big fan of Facebook stalking. (Not as creepy as it sounds, lol).

I second that. Facebook is simply fun, and it's nice to speak with old acquaintances that you haven't seen in years. The fact that Facebook calls them "Friends" doesn't mean they are close friends, but it provides you with constant links to people in case you need to get in touch with them. It actually helped me a couple of times recently.

Oh, and I am also a big Facebook stalker....Mwahahaha! :-)

Well, I caved. I'm now on Facebook. It seemed the least obnoxious of the lot.

Look me up if you're on there. Can't tell you how, because I'm finding it irritatingly difficult to figure out how to use the site.

I like to "digitize" as much of my life as possible, whether it comes to my calendar, my task list, contacts, etc. I like Facebook because it does that for the relationships I build with people. I've found that it's easier to use Facebook to communicate with people than email. My biggest complaint about Facebook is how trivial the communication is between people on it. Most of the communication I've seen is comprised of one-sentence pings that amount to people saying "hi you, " "it was nice to see you," or "TGIF!" There have been a couple times when I wanted to write something substantial (perhaps a paragraph or two), but I didn't because I felt that I'd be breaking Facebook etiquette.

Is Scrabulous a game designed specifically to be played on Facebook pages? (Discounting the fact that it's an obvious Scrabble ripoff...)

It is. Facebook allows developers to write applications specifically designed to be played through Facebook. Out of the thousands of apps written for Facebook, Scrabulous is one of a handful that actually have a point. My wife and I have had played many intense Scrabble games through it. :D

Well, I caved. I'm now on Facebook. It seemed the least obnoxious of the lot.

Look me up if you're on there. Can't tell you how, because I'm finding it irritatingly difficult to figure out how to use the site.

By popular demand (i.e. my kids) I'm now on MySpace too. And here's the direct link to my Facebook profile.