JJPierce

Vadim Perelman

7 posts in this topic

Some of you, at least, have been following the travails of the ATLAS SHRUGGED movie project. There have been interviews with director Vadim Perelman, Michael Burns of Lionsgate, and others. It's down to one two-and-a-half hour movie, no trilogy -- too awkward and too expensive. Angelina Jolie is still on board, but shooting has been delayed by her pregnancy. It might start in September. Pittsburgh will stand in for New York. They'd like to get Russell Crowe to play Hank Rearden.

My apologies if all of you already know all this.

I saw THE LIFE BEHIND HER EYES recently, in part to get the measure of Pereman as a filmmaker and storyteller. The good news is that he's a great one. The bad news is that nobody else seems to think so; it looks as if the movie is tanking big time. That could sink Perelman and sink ATLAS SHRUGGED. I can't say whether that would be a tragedy or not. ATLAS SHRUGGED is a totally differemt kind of story from THE LIFE BEFORE HER EYES; maybe he isn't up to it. But I can say that, despite the bad reviews and minimal box office, LIFE is an excellent film on its own terms. I find myself unable to spell it out because, like THE USUAL SUSPECTS and THE SIXTH SENSE, it has a trick ending that makes us see everything that has gone before it in a different light. I am able to say that, once you see the ending, everything else makes sense -- elements that seemed unrealistic, confusing or pretentious all fall into place as part of an integrated whole.

Thank you for your attention/patience.

This isn't a comment on "Life Behind Her Eyes" but on the Atlas Shrugged movie...

I don't think it's going to matter what the popular press will say about it. The popular press routinely trash Atlas Shrugged the novel, and it still sells well more than 50 years after its release. If even a quater of the people who have read (and liked) the book go and watch the movie it will have done well. Add in the boys and young men (and older ones) that will buy tickets because Angeline Jolie is starring and you have at least a half decent taking at the box office.

For this type of movie if he translates the themes of the novel well, the movie will do just fine. Don't know if it will break records at the box office or not, but I know I'll be contributing my part when it is released.

For this type of movie if he translates the themes of the novel well, the movie will do just fine. Don't know if it will break records at the box office or not, but I know I'll be contributing my part when it is released.

If the movie is ever made and remains essentially true to the novel, I'm certain that it will do much better than just fine, especially in the long run.

Based on both his interview and the care he took in making THE LIFE BEHIND HER EYES, I think Perelman would give ATLAS SHRUGGED his best shot. Whether that would be good enough, I can't say. But... if the box office failure of LIFE scares the Powers That Be into dropping him like a hot potato, we'll never know. And would there be any white knight who could do the job better charging in?

Apparently, Vadim Perelman is no longer associated with the Atlas Shrugged Movie. A story on IGN.com (here) reports:

The development troubles for Lionsgate's planned adaptation of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged continue with the reported departure of filmmaker Vadim Perelman.

According to Cinematical, Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) says the project will not be going forward with him in the director's chair. Perelman had been tasked with writing and directing the flick, but it's also unclear whether he completed a draft of the screenplay. A previous draft was penned by Randall Wallace (Braveheart), who managed to pair down Rand's magnum opus of over 1,000 pages into a 127-page screenplay.

It's been a rough road for the movie version of the classic novel which was shelved briefly before Perelman was brought onboard in September. No reasons for Perelman's departure were given.

Ugh! A part of me is sad, but another part isn't. Maybe it's best if Atlas never gets turned into a movie. The chances of a good adaptation are slim.

Apparently, Vadim Perelman is no longer associated with the Atlas Shrugged Movie. A story on IGN.com (here) reports:
The development troubles for Lionsgate's planned adaptation of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged continue with the reported departure of filmmaker Vadim Perelman.

According to Cinematical, Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) says the project will not be going forward with him in the director's chair. Perelman had been tasked with writing and directing the flick, but it's also unclear whether he completed a draft of the screenplay. A previous draft was penned by Randall Wallace (Braveheart), who managed to pair down Rand's magnum opus of over 1,000 pages into a 127-page screenplay.

It's been a rough road for the movie version of the classic novel which was shelved briefly before Perelman was brought onboard in September. No reasons for Perelman's departure were given.

No mystery about this. He got dumped for the same reason the Mets dumped Willie Randolph. The box office failure of THE LIFE BEFORE HER EYES made him poison in Hollywood. What's really bizarre is that Angelina Jolie is quoted as saying he was never involved in the project to begin with! Guess we just imagined those announcements and interviews...