Betsy Speicher

Yaron Brook on Glen Beck tonight

11 posts in this topic

ARI Subscriber Advisory

Dr. Yaron Brook, president and executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute, is scheduled to be interviewed on "The Glenn Beck (TV) Program" tonight (May 6, 2008). Dr. Brook has been asked to critique the so-called Consumer Reasonable Energy Price Protection Act, a bill proposed by U.S. Rep. Paul Kanjorski, D-Pa, for the establishment of a "Reasonable Profits Board" to determine when oil company earnings exceed a "rational" threshold.

"The Glenn Beck (TV) Program" airs on CNN Headline News channel at 7:00 pm, and is reaired at 9:00 pm and 12:00 am Eastern Standard Time. Glenn Beck frequently urges his audiences to read "Atlas Shrugged."

ARI Media

Copyright © 2008 Ayn Rand® Institute. All rights reserved.

"Reasonable Profits Board"

This would be funny if it weren't true. Again, we see how prescient Ayn Rand was in Atlas.

Dr. Yaron Brook, president and executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute, is scheduled to be interviewed on "The Glenn Beck (TV) Program" tonight (May 6, 2008). Dr. Brook has been asked to critique the so-called Consumer Reasonable Energy Price Protection Act, a bill proposed by U.S. Rep. Paul Kanjorski, D-Pa, for the establishment of a "Reasonable Profits Board" to determine when oil company earnings exceed a "rational" threshold.

There is a transcript of Dr. Brook's appearance here.

Thank you for the link, Betsy. I have not ever seen, or even heard, of the Glen Beck show off the Forum. Does the show have multiple guests per episode, typically? I was surprised because I thought of a "critique" as something that suggests more airtime, not that it is a negative for Atlas Shrugged to receive mention.

Thank you for the link, Betsy. I have not ever seen, or even heard, of the Glen Beck show off the Forum. Does the show have multiple guests per episode, typically? I was surprised because I thought of a "critique" as something that suggests more airtime, not that it is a negative for Atlas Shrugged to receive mention.

Glenn Beck has a daily (M-F) interview and commentary program (here) on CNN Headline News cable channel.

It is an hour long, covering multiple topics with Beck's commentary and interviews of varying lengths, sometimes with more than one interviewee at a time. The recent show with Yaroon Brook and the author of Liberal Fascism was not as extensive or as in depth as some interviews, but started the show and contained a big emphasis on reading Atlas even though they didn't say much about what it is.

My Google search brought up an interesting commentary on Yaron Brook on Glenn Beck in the left-wing Huffington Post (here).

The only factual content seems to be that Brook appeared on Glenn Beck's program along with author Jonah Goldberg. The rest is a glaring illustration of psycho-epistemological pathology -- specifically, trying to use emotions as tools of cognition.

The only factual content seems to be that Brook appeared on Glenn Beck's program along with author Jonah Goldberg. The rest is a glaring illustration of psycho-epistemological pathology -- specifically, trying to use emotions as tools of cognition.

And here's the cash value of his rant:

There must be fundamental changes made to the make-up of the Federal Communications Commission and new legislation passed to begin to clean up this toxic media environment. We need to pursue aggressively anti-trust prosecutions against the media oligopolies to break them up into smaller, more competitive entities. We need to reinstate some form of the fairness doctrine. We need the companies to provide free airtime to presidential candidates to reduce the obscene amount of cash they milk from our "democracy" every four years. Maybe then, mercifully, we will see less of Glenn Beck and his ilk, less propaganda, and more credible journalism.

In other words, he's apoplectic that anybody would dare to dispute his axiomatic liberal BS, and the government should, you know, do something about it.

ARI Subscriber Advisory

"The Glenn Beck (TV) Program" airs on CNN Headline News channel at 7:00 pm, and is reaired at 9:00 pm and 12:00 am Eastern Standard Time. Glenn Beck frequently urges his audiences to read "Atlas Shrugged."

ARI Media

Copyright © 2008 Ayn Rand® Institute. All rights reserved.

Now may it's my cynical nature, but if you were one of the political appointees to this board, wouldn't the possibilities of bribery and corruption make Robert Mugabe look like a model of self-restraint? Just think "I can permit you to make $2B or £10B, what's that worth to you?" Unbelieveable.

I can't help wondering if Mr Kanjorski could pass a law to let oil know when it would be reasonable to allow itself to be discovered, or perhaps the providers of the infrastructure that power companies rely upon could also be subject to reasonable profits, hell let's move to a fully command economy, becuase that worked so well for the Soviet Union.

I can't know if she had anything to do with Palmero's ridiculous piece, but Huffington has been hostile towards Ayn Rand for some time. I remember her "debating" Peter Schwartz once, spewing out something like "I too worshipped at the alter of Ayn Rand" in her opening statement.

She then implied that she had read a translation of The Virtue of Selfishness in either grade school or junior high school, and that as soon as a teacher happened to see the title of the book Huffington was reading on her own, her parents were called in for a parent-teacher meeting. (I mean if that isn't a standalone argument against Objectivism, what is?)

Problem?

VoS was never translated into Greek -- not officially. (I've yet to find any trace of an illegal translation in used bookstores down there.) Also, for her timetable to work out, the book had to be translated the year it was released in the States. Even though English has been the second language of choice for some time in Greece, the odds of a just-released, slow-selling book showing up in even the most specialized bookstores in the same year it was released abroad were next to zero in those days. The odds of it being translated in time for Huffington's story to pan out are even lower.

Anyway, later in the same debate she made a brilliant statement along the lines of "I'm speaking of something higher [than the mind], of something from the heart."

Can't argue with that.