Ryan

Introduction

10 posts in this topic

'Lo all.

My name is Ryan (I'm just so creative with my username, eh?). I stumbled into here when I was looking up information on The Virtue of Selfishness. I'm from Michigan, home of the governor who, in this already terrible Michigan economy, decided to raise business taxes while expecting the owners to get along fine ( Small businesses dropping like flies and near-constant strikes from the automotive unions. Lets raise taxes! ).

My venture into Objectivism began when my father gave me a copy off "We the Living". I couldn't get much into the plot, at the time I thought it was boring, but I loved the dialect. I loved Kira's outlook and ideas. Her discussions with Andrei always could draw me in. I've always been big on thinking, and the book made me do just that.

My goal is to go into internal medicine then specialize in Infectious Disease. I'm working 3 jobs in order to try to pay for it. One job is at a pizza shop, only a Sunday job. All the other days except Saturday I'm at a metal shop after school refurbishing various electronic equipment. The other is website design and coding which I do on my spare time.

Can't wait to get into some of the discussions around here. I did a quick check around the forum and found a topic for almost everything. I'll hopefully learn a lot as I'm still fairly new to the subject of Objectivism.

Welcome to THE FORUM Ryan (and as you can see my username is about as creative as your's) and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Can't wait to get into some of the discussions around here. I did a quick check around the forum and found a topic for almost everything. I'll hopefully learn a lot as I'm still fairly new to the subject of Objectivism.

It sounds like you're a pretty ambitious, interesting young man so I can't wait until you get into the discussions too.

Welcome, Ryan!

'Lo all.

My name is Ryan (I'm just so creative with my username, eh?). I stumbled into here when I was looking up information on The Virtue of Selfishness. I'm from Michigan, home of the governor who, in this already terrible Michigan economy, decided to raise business taxes while expecting the owners to get along fine ( Small businesses dropping like flies and near-constant strikes from the automotive unions. Lets raise taxes! ).

My venture into Objectivism began when my father gave me a copy off "We the Living". I couldn't get much into the plot, at the time I thought it was boring, but I loved the dialect. I loved Kira's outlook and ideas. Her discussions with Andrei always could draw me in. I've always been big on thinking, and the book made me do just that.

My goal is to go into internal medicine then specialize in Infectious Disease. I'm working 3 jobs in order to try to pay for it. One job is at a pizza shop, only a Sunday job. All the other days except Saturday I'm at a metal shop after school refurbishing various electronic equipment. The other is website design and coding which I do on my spare time.

Hi Ryan,

Doing a lot of work and supporting your studies is great -- Welcome to Objectivism, likely to be your type of philosophy. Hope there is a lot of inter-action amongst us -- I am from India, Mumbai.

Eknath

Welcome, Ryan!

Yes, that was a brilliant eponymous choice for your user name. Many of us have made a similar creative choice. 'Creativity' is my middle name... but I think that one was taken.

I admire your drive. All the best on the medical career path. Just keep the grades up -- maybe you can some work closer to your field of interest, although it never hurts to know your metal and pizza. Looking forward to hearing from you here in the Forum.