Betsy Speicher

Porco Rosso (1992)

Rate this movie   3 votes

1. 1. Artistic Merit

2. 2. Sense of Life or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

Hayao Miyazaki is almost a centennial; he has said he was going to retire at least four times, and has broken that promise each time. He is one of the most respected Animators in the world, for good reason; preferring to work in vibrant 2D animation instead of the now dominant 3D. Porco Rosso, about a 1920’s Italian pilot who has the face of a pig, is vintage Miyazaki.

The movie can be seen as a kind of battle between world-worried cynicism and youthful optimism; in fact, with a movie that is not explicit about much, this seems to be its dominant theme.

The visuals are incredible; Miyazaki incorporates the old aircrafts that he loves into a lush and colorful world. Vehicles and buildings are particularly hard to animate in 2D animation, which makes this movie so impresive. I have to say, part of the reason I like this film is because I share an affinity for aircrafts with Miyazaki; while many of the sea planes in Porco Rosso are the work of fiction, they all seem real.

The animation is incredible, the story is charming (as well as the characters, especially the plucky young engineer); the movie, while not philosophically perfect, is wholefully beneficent and hopeful. Defiantly worth at least one watch.

You can watch some small samples here,

, and

I remember watching it when it came out in the early nineties. Great movie.

This was a superb movie. For artistic merit I gave it a ten, because the work is entirely original and very beautifully rendered. For sense of life I gave it a nine, a heroic and enjoyable movie.