Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasonlockwood

Arriving in Sydney in FOUR weeks

9 posts in this topic

The official countdown has begun for me. I received word a few hours ago that my sponsored business visa has been approved by Immigration Australia. This visa lasts up to four years.

This marks the culmination of many many months of planning on my part (and thanks to my parent company - EMC - who paid the fees and did most of the leg work). To me, this is what life is all about: exciting new challenges, far flung exotic locales, and the promise of an amazing new life in my new country.

To all the Aussie Objectivists on the FORUM, I hope to meet you all soon!

The official countdown has begun for me. I received word a few hours ago that my sponsored business visa has been approved by Immigration Australia. This visa lasts up to four years.

This marks the culmination of many many months of planning on my part (and thanks to my parent company - EMC - who paid the fees and did most of the leg work). To me, this is what life is all about: exciting new challenges, far flung exotic locales, and the promise of an amazing new life in my new country.

Good on ya, mate! Australia is one country I'd love to visit, and may eventually live in someday.

I do not agree with immigration procedure in any country in the world today, but Australia has one of the better systems, as far as I can tell. In applying for a permanent residency visa, Australia requires that you sign an "Australian Values" statement. The declaration may be only symbolic, but I think it's a good indication of the kind of culture being preserved or strengthened, especially when the values include:

* respect for the freedom and dignity of the individual

* equality of men and women

* freedom of religion

* commitment to the rule of law

* support for Parliamentary democracy

* a spirit of egalitarianism that embraces mutual respect, tolerance, fair play, compassion for those in need and pursuit of the public good

* equal opportunity for individuals, regardless of their race, religion or ethnic background

These are not the words I would have used exactly, but, in the West's increasingly multiculturalist, groupthink atmosphere, this is notable, especially the first line.

Good on ya, mate! Australia is one country I'd love to visit, and may eventually live in someday.

I do not agree with immigration procedure in any country in the world today, but Australia has one of the better systems, as far as I can tell. In applying for a permanent residency visa, Australia requires that you sign an "Australian Values" statement. The declaration may be only symbolic, but I think it's a good indication of the kind of culture being preserved or strengthened, especially when the values include:

* respect for the freedom and dignity of the individual

* equality of men and women

* freedom of religion

* commitment to the rule of law

* support for Parliamentary democracy

* a spirit of egalitarianism that embraces mutual respect, tolerance, fair play, compassion for those in need and pursuit of the public good

* equal opportunity for individuals, regardless of their race, religion or ethnic background

These are not the words I would have used exactly, but, in the West's increasingly multiculturalist, groupthink atmosphere, this is notable, especially the first line.

I quite agree. Other countries I've lived in had far more onerous procedures for immigration. The visa process was much more streamlined and I am heartened by the fact the I was approved within DAYS of lodging the application. Normally it takes six to eight weeks.

I quite agree. Other countries I've lived in had far more onerous procedures for immigration. The visa process was much more streamlined and I am heartened by the fact the I was approved within DAYS of lodging the application. Normally it takes six to eight weeks.

Slightly off the point, but when I applied for an Iranian holiday Visa some years ago there was always 'one more form' I needed to fill in. The consular guy helpfully pointed out that his mate ran this company that could get me a visa the same day, for only £200!

Things should get even easier from what I gather. There is a shortage of skilled people here, and jobs are begging to be filled. There is intention to make a significant increase to immigration. The economy here has been cooking so hot, that interest rates are around 7/12% to slow things down. This has attracted investment, and our dollar is at record highs. Good for some, but not for exporters. Even though we have a Labor Government, they seem to be fiscally conservative, and are trying to cut back spending.

Things should get even easier from what I gather. There is a shortage of skilled people here, and jobs are begging to be filled. There is intention to make a significant increase to immigration. The economy here has been cooking so hot, that interest rates are around 7/12% to slow things down. This has attracted investment, and our dollar is at record highs. Good for some, but not for exporters. Even though we have a Labor Government, they seem to be fiscally conservative, and are trying to cut back spending.

I may actually be in better shape financially down in Australia than in the US. With my base salary and commission, this should be the best move for me ever. :)

Congratulations on making this work out Jason. I know you had said how much you enjoyed visiting there in the past. From others comments on here it sounds like Australia is a pretty interesting place, in terms of its options for career-focused people and its economy in general. I will be interested to here how it works out once you get there.

Good luck and enjoy!

Congratulations on making this work out Jason. I know you had said how much you enjoyed visiting there in the past. From others comments on here it sounds like Australia is a pretty interesting place, in terms of its options for career-focused people and its economy in general. I will be interested to here how it works out once you get there.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks, Tony, I appreciate the good wishes. Sorry we didn't have time to get together. Things have gotten really busy over the last month or two here.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0