Betsy Speicher

Sex and the City (2008)

Rate this movie   1 vote

1. 3. Artistic Merit

2. 4. Sense of Life or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 posts in this topic

I thought this movie was very charming. It wasn't flawless, but definitely has a lot to offer Objectivists. In particular, I've always considered myself "a Samantha," but after seeing the way she was portrayed in this movie, it's inconceivable to me that any Objectivist wouldn't identify with her. I don't want to give away too much, but her egoism is really emphasized in this movie and all she lacks for an explicit declaration of it is the right wording. I definitely recommend it.

Oh yeah, I gave it a 6 for artistic merit, and a 10 for its sense of life.

My friends since college saw S&C on Friday. I got a messae on my machine: "We just walked of seeing Sex and the City and of course we thought of you."

?????

My friends since college saw S&C on Friday. I got a messae on my machine: "We just walked of seeing Sex and the City and of course we thought of you."

?????

See it and you'll understand. Even those who didn't watch the series will enjoy it; they did a fantastic job of making it self-contained. I have to admit that I was extremely skeptical going into the movie and was very, very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I thought it was going to be a "play to the fans" kind of thing, where they try to artificially, but unsuccessfully, recreate the charm of the show. They were able to recreate the charm, but in a new, non-artificial way.

I was kind of forced to see it because of my gf, and I don't know, I thought it was a chick flick... Don't get me wrong, there was nothing bad in it either plot-wise or sense-of-life-wise, merely an absence of manliness and triumph which men really love, and a whole lot of drama, emotions, and dramatic emotions, which appeals a lot to the fairer part of humanity.