Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

The Year of the Long Knives

18 posts in this topic

Edward Cline, author of the Sparrowhawk series of novels, has begun an assessment of Barack Obama and his Presidential candidacy at The Rule of Reason. Let me state at once that I am in total agreement with his conviction that Mr. Obama has been chosen to become "the point man for the collectivist movements that wish to take full control of the country". As to the reasons for his conviction, as always Mr. Cline needs no assistance: his writing is far more effective than any commentary I could offer with respect to it.

Here are Parts 1 and 2 of Mr. Cline's projected 3 part series. I will post the final part when it appears.

The Year of the Long Knives: Part 1

The Year of the Long Knives: Part 2

Extremely interesting, Vespasiano. Thanks for posting.

Indeed! I should also say that I'm not quite certain that there will be only 3 parts to this series. That was my initial understanding. I would not be suprised to see even more.

Ed is a masterful writer and masterful thinker.

I only wonder how he can stand to spend so much of his valuable time analyzing and writing about current events (given how dismal most current events are). I assume it's because the times we're living in are so critically dangerous (much as Washington and other Founding Fathers gave more of their time to politics than they really wanted to).

Edward Cline, author of the Sparrowhawk series of novels, has begun an assessment of Barack Obama and his Presidential candidacy at The Rule of Reason. Let me state at once that I am in total agreement with his conviction that Mr. Obama has been chosen to become "the point man for the collectivist movements that wish to take full control of the country". As to the reasons for his conviction, as always Mr. Cline needs no assistance: his writing is far more effective than any commentary I could offer with respect to it.

Here are Parts 1 and 2 of Mr. Cline's projected 3 part series. I will post the final part when it appears.

And here is Part 3 of Mr. Cline's series. As I suspected, there will be a fourth installment, for which I will provide a link when it appears.

The Year of the Long Knives: Part 3

Edward Cline, author of the Sparrowhawk series of novels, has begun an assessment of Barack Obama and his Presidential candidacy at The Rule of Reason. Let me state at once that I am in total agreement with his conviction that Mr. Obama has been chosen to become "the point man for the collectivist movements that wish to take full control of the country".

I could not find the it, but I'm recalling a recent post in which someone linked to an advertisement for Obama. I watched the ad, and noticed that in what was essentially a content-free ad, there was a crowd chanting as a background track "Obama, Obama, Obama!" over and over. This raised in me a distinctly unpleasant feeling, and then my subconscious fed me "Leni Riefenstahl." I'm not actually very familiar with exactly what she did for Hitler's campaign, and it may not have been her work per se that I was reminded of. All I knew was that I was reminded of some propaganda of Hitler's that I'd seen, when I heard that mass of people chanting Obama's name over and over in an ad that projected mindless adoration, but was at the same time, rather skillfully executed. It was such a creepy connection on my part that I couldn't bring myself to post about it, and hoped that it was only my own idiosyncratic paranoia at work.

But it looks like Edward Cline has had a similar sense about Obama's campaign, albeit based on a much more highly informed intelligence. Although I find it to be an extraordinarily unpleasant connection, perhaps it would be good if more people saw it. And maybe they will, if Ed Cline's articles are attended to. I'd have much preferred that it was only my own idiosyncratic paranoia, but as Ayn Rand used to say, "Wishing won't make it so."

And here is Part 3 of Mr. Cline's series. As I suspected, there will be a fourth installment, for which I will provide a link when it appears.

The Year of the Long Knives: Part 3

And here is Part 4 of the series.

The Year of the Long Knive: Part 4

I could not find the it, but I'm recalling a recent post in which someone linked to an advertisement for Obama. I watched the ad, and noticed that in what was essentially a content-free ad, there was a crowd chanting as a background track "Obama, Obama, Obama!" over and over. This raised in me a distinctly unpleasant feeling, and then my subconscious fed me "Leni Riefenstahl." I'm not actually very familiar with exactly what she did for Hitler's campaign, and it may not have been her work per se that I was reminded of. All I knew was that I was reminded of some propaganda of Hitler's that I'd seen, when I heard that mass of people chanting Obama's name over and over in an ad that projected mindless adoration, but was at the same time, rather skillfully executed. It was such a creepy connection on my part that I couldn't bring myself to post about it, and hoped that it was only my own idiosyncratic paranoia at work.

But it looks like Edward Cline has had a similar sense about Obama's campaign, albeit based on a much more highly informed intelligence. Although I find it to be an extraordinarily unpleasant connection, perhaps it would be good if more people saw it. And maybe they will, if Ed Cline's articles are attended to. I'd have much preferred that it was only my own idiosyncratic paranoia, but as Ayn Rand used to say, "Wishing won't make it so."

Count me as one who saw many of the same things in Obama that Mr. Cline highlights in his series. And . . . I saw them pretty much from the beginning, which is one of the reasons why, when others were confident Hillary Clinton would "win" the nomination, I dissented. But Mr. Cline goes well beyond my own thinking on the matter and makes connections even I had not fully put together. I admit his arguments here almost makes me consider voting for Mr. McCain if for no other reason than to ensure that such a creature as Mr. Obama and his menagerie of "friends" never get near the office of the Presidency . . . .

. . . . Almost. Not quite.

I'm not familiar with the Obama ad you mention; I don't watch commercial television as a rule and thankfully haven't really seen any political ads. But I doubt Obama's ad-makers are anywhere near the level of Leni Riefenstahl who was a frighteningly brilliant propagandist filmmaker. I recall vividly my reaction to what was arguably her "greatest" achievement, Triumph of the Will, when we viewed if for a college course back in the 1970s. As the film progressed I sensed my mind slipping away and falling under the "spell". It took every ounce of concentration to keep my mind alert. I've never had that experience in any other venue, and I can certainly understand how so many others could "get lost" when seeing that and other, similar stuff. Truly evil, and truly frightening.

I admit his arguments here almost makes me consider voting for Mr. McCain if for no other reason than to ensure that such a creature as Mr. Obama and his menagerie of "friends" never get near the office of the Presidency . . . .

Why not? The choice will be either McCain or Obama. Given a choice between a confused, tired old man who won't last longer than one term and who at least doesn't hate America, and a relatively young, viciously America-hating Obama, the former looks like the least damage potential.

Here's the link to that ad.

I don't know how dangerous Obama really is, and I'm going to do my part to see we don't find out. It's amazing how much support he's received for having no ideas, and despite skeletons that would have destroyed other candidates. Probably, he'd just turn out to be another Carter, but isn't that bad enough? And do we want to take the chance that he's worse?

What this comparison illustrates for me is the stylistic distinction Jonah Goldberg describes in his recent book, Liberal Fascism: while both advocate a mobilization of the populace for WAR (the actual thing in the case of Hitler, its equivalent in the case of Obama), with Obama, we do not see the overt, militaristic trappings and the monumentalist architectural backdrops of Hitler; what we see, instead, is fascism with a smile. Many of the same people who might turn away in fascinated revulsion at the former (the ideas fascinate, the manner disgusts), have been flocking to Mr. Obama's side.

Mr. Cline has penned a brief Postscript for his series of Obama assessments:

The Year of the Long Knives: A Postscript

I doubt Obama's ad-makers are anywhere near the level of Leni Riefenstahl who was a frighteningly brilliant propagandist filmmaker. I recall vividly my reaction to what was arguably her "greatest" achievement, Triumph of the Will, when we viewed if for a college course back in the 1970s. As the film progressed I sensed my mind slipping away and falling under the "spell". It took every ounce of concentration to keep my mind alert. I've never had that experience in any other venue, and I can certainly understand how so many others could "get lost" when seeing that and other, similar stuff. Truly evil, and truly frightening.

Being unfamiliar with Riefenstahl's work, I'll take your word for it about the level of skill. But I don't know if this says anything positive about our situation in America today. Let's say that the German public required massively-skilled propaganda before voting such a life-hater into office. What does it say, then, about modern Americans -- if all that is required to convince a majority to vote for this America-hating empty-vessel is a "groovy" soundtrack, mass-chanting, and an overdose of bromides emitted from angry and/or empty-eyed faces -- with the occasional (probably relatively-bright) celebrity thrown in? [i suppose they could have all been "celebrities" for all I know about today's pop culture. But I was only reasonably sure that I'd seen one of those faces before (Jamie Foxx - in a movie).]

What bothers me even more than the politicians is their supporters, and the non-reasons I am seeing for that support.

I admit his arguments here almost makes me consider voting for Mr. McCain if for no other reason than to ensure that such a creature as Mr. Obama and his menagerie of "friends" never get near the office of the Presidency . . . .

Why not? The choice will be either McCain or Obama. Given a choice between a confused, tired old man who won't last longer than one term and who at least doesn't hate America, and a relatively young, viciously America-hating Obama, the former looks like the least damage potential.

Evidence, please, that Obama is a vicious America-hater. No, I'm not asking about his former pastor (and let's examine that speech again in detail, not just the "liberal" media's treatment of a few YouTube excerpts), I'm asking about Obama himself. What are the reasons you consider Obama an America hater, and do any of them apply to McCain when considered consistently? Is he an America hater because he supports raising taxes to fund expansion of government welfare programs? If so, McCain opposed Bush II's tax cuts, and supported expansion of government welfare programs. Is he an America hater because he opposed the Iraq war? If so, is everyone who opposed the Iraq war an America hater?

I disagree with Clinton, Bush II, Clinton II, McCain, and yes, Obama on lots of issues, and think that some of their positions are irrational, but an extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence.

Being unfamiliar with Riefenstahl's work, I'll take your word for it about the level of skill. But I don't know if this says anything positive about our situation in America today. Let's say that the German public required massively-skilled propaganda before voting such a life-hater into office. What does it say, then, about modern Americans -- if all that is required to convince a majority to vote for this America-hating empty-vessel is a "groovy" soundtrack, mass-chanting, and an overdose of bromides emitted from angry and/or empty-eyed faces -- with the occasional (probably relatively-bright) celebrity thrown in? [i suppose they could have all been "celebrities" for all I know about today's pop culture. But I was only reasonably sure that I'd seen one of those faces before (Jamie Foxx - in a movie).]

What bothers me even more than the politicians is their supporters, and the non-reasons I am seeing for that support.

First, I find your description of the Obama ad (to which BBorg linked) to be spot-on. As to your question with respect to what it says about modern Americans who buy into it . . . not much, I'm afraid. The refusal to see and address what lies behind Mr. Obama's practiced, smiley-face persona is truly disheartening to me. But then, that ad itself, with its procession of popular but equally hollow film and music stars is a testament not to ideas (which are never discussed openly and explicitly) but to the cult of personality that is both the driving force behind the Obama candidacy (as it was for Hitler's incidentally) and the conduit of his "appeal". That anyone should countenance for one minute such a thing as appropriate for the office of President of the United States is quite simply beyond the pale in my mind.

I will grant that for all his many, demonstrable faults, the aging and lackluster Mr. McCain is surely NOT up to that particular role nor, to the best of my understanding, has anyone proposed him for the part. This may turn out to be the principal thing to recommend him in November since otherwise, in terms of essentials, he does not differ significantly from Mr. Obama.

I also wonder just how many Americans really are hoodwinked by this cultish Obama/Messiah craze. Will we really have to wait until the election results are in on November 4 to know for sure?

I also wonder just how many Americans really are hoodwinked by this cultish Obama/Messiah craze. Will we really have to wait until the election results are in on November 4 to know for sure?

I don't think that a voter has to really buy into the whole craze in order to cast a vote for Obama. I'll bet that the vast majority of Democrats will vote for him, and that the vast majority of Republican voters will support McCain. The president will be chosen by whichever party gets the most voters to the polls, which IMO, is likely to be Democrats.

A lot of Republicans don't like McCain, and might just stay home. I don't think Obama has generated the same kind of antipathy among Democrats as McCain has among Republicans. And Obama seems to actively excite the leftists, while McCain does not appear to do the same for any significant group of Republicans.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0