Thales

So This is What They Do For Fun In Japan?

10 posts in this topic

INSANE wave pool in Tokyo

The Japanese do things in such large numbers.

B)

You won't believe this...

Stunt driver gets hit by his own car ... while he's driving it!

And willing to do it in such large numbers. Talking about different philosophy...

And willing to do it in such large numbers. Talking about different philosophy...

I'm sure part of that is a manifestation of the fact that there are 150 million people living on four small islands.

I'm sure part of that is a manifestation of the fact that there are 150 million people living on four small islands.

Yes, partly. But still.

Well, it looks like a good chunk of those are bobbing in a wave pool at the moment.

Well, it looks like a good chunk of those are bobbing in a wave pool at the moment.

Have you ever seen the passenger trains in Japan? They cram them in like sardines, it's amazing to watch. Actually, in Japan space is at such a premium that it costs more for a parking spot than it does for a car. Hotel rooms are like cupboards.

The truly INSANE people in Japan are the taxi drivers. Within the first couple of weeks of being in Japan I took a drivers course to get my International Driving License. But before that I had to take taxis where ever I wanted to go that was out of walking distance. One night Sharon and I were coming back from a restaurant and she had to get to work for her watch/duty. As soon as we got in the car I told the driver where to take us and then Sharon yelled, "and hurry up please." Big mistake, as we shot down every back alley and between parked cars with just inches of space all while at high speeds. Sharon struggled to get her seat-belt on while trying to tell the driver that she was just joking. We made the trip in record time, according to the driver, and the best part is we were still alive.

I had a similar experience taking a taxi in NYC. I was sitting in the back looking straight ahead through the Plexiglas window not quite believing what I was seeing. :wacko: He was darting in and out of traffic like a mad man and I was thinking I'm sure we'll be okay, because he's a "professional". ;)

I had a similar experience taking a taxi in NYC. I was sitting in the back looking straight ahead through the Plexiglas window not quite believing what I was seeing. :wacko: He was darting in and out of traffic like a mad man and I was thinking I'm sure we'll be okay, because he's a "professional". :D

That's how you have to drive in NYC. I did it for a while when we lived in Manhattan and I drove out to NJ every day to work on a contract. In addition, I had to perfect a skill that most taxi drivers never have to master: parking.

Since off-street parking cost almost as much as my apartment, I had to find and negotiate an alternate-side-of-the-street spot every night. In less than twenty minutes I could drive around the streets within four blocks of our apartment, spot a car about to leave from a block away, and smoothly glide into his spot as he moved out of it much to the frustration of the drivers behind me who had been eyeing the same spot. I could parallel park in a spot only one-half inch larger than my car in less than five backups and without touching the car ahead or behind.

Taxi drivers are good but they're not that good! ;)

That's how you have to drive in NYC. I did it for a while when we lived in Manhattan and I drove out to NJ every day to work on a contract. In addition, I had to perfect a skill that most taxi drivers never have to master: parking.

I am somewhat apprehensive of driving in Sydney after the complete ease and WIDE WIDE WIDE roads in Phoenix for the last nine years. I am bound and determined to master it, though! :wacko: