tgrundon

Is McCain really more "conservative"? How so?

2 posts in this topic

McCain apparently became more "conservative" after he won the Republican primary. I am starting to think he really believes he is now a conservative. Mostly his conservative views are economic, with support for oil drilling, medical freedom, and a host of other smaller government reforms. Of course he still John McCain so I have my reservations, but the threat of Obama is starting to worry me.

Primarily how can we tell if McCain has had a change in his political views? I suspect if he has it is almost solely motivated by his desire to win and be a popular president. However, even a populist Republican would be better than a far-left Democrat.

Also, do other forum members think Obama will win?

McCain apparently became more "conservative" after he won the Republican primary. I am starting to think he really believes he is now a conservative. Mostly his conservative views are economic, with support for oil drilling, medical freedom, and a host of other smaller government reforms. Of course he still John McCain so I have my reservations, but the threat of Obama is starting to worry me.

Primarily how can we tell if McCain has had a change in his political views? I suspect if he has it is almost solely motivated by his desire to win and be a popular president. However, even a populist Republican would be better than a far-left Democrat.

There is no reason to think that McCain has changed his views. Everything they say (on both sides) now has one main purpose: to get votes. Normally they go after the "moderates" in the closely contested states -- this is distinct from whether or not the winner would be a "populist" president once in power. McCain may have done research that shows such people are concerned about energy prices and the effects on their standard of living. I suspect that he is also concerned about losing the conservative base in the Republican party, which is anything but enthusiastic about him.

Also, do other forum members think Obama will win?

I don't know but but you are right to be worried about it. You should also be worried about McCain, but Obama is more frightening.