Betsy Speicher

2008 Presidential Poll for July 2008

2008 Presidential Poll for July 2008   40 votes

1. 1. If the 2008 Presidential Election were being held today, who would you vote for or support?

• Bob Barr (L)
    • John McCain (R)
    • Ralph Nader (G)
    • Barack Obama (D)
    • Another candidate
    • Would not vote
  2. 2. Who would you NEVER vote for or support?

• Bob Barr (L)
    • John McCain (R)
    • Ralph Nader (G)
    • Barack Obama (D)
  3. 3. Who do you think will win?

• Bob Barr (L)
    • John McCain (R)
    • Ralph Nader (G)
    • Barack Obama (D)
    • Another candidate

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

This topic will remain pinned and open for voting and comments until the end of July 2008.

I have removed the question about Dr. Peikoff's presidential voting preference because it is stated on his web site and was announced at OCON that he will not be answering questions about the upcoming election. Instead, there is a question about who WILL will the election regardless of who SHOULD win.

As much as I do not want to, I will vote for McCain.

Nevertheless, I think Obama will win. The Media loves him too much, and the American people will fall into this new "fad" of Obama-ism.

Nevertheless, I think Obama will win. The Media loves him too much, and the American people will fall into this new "fad" of Obama-ism.

I don't know who will win and think its too early in the campaign to even guess. Why do you think Obam-AH' will win? The media always love the creature most to the left and there is always a segment of the public that goes for the leftist-promises fad. Whether or not it has become larger than the McGovern fad was still remains to be seen. I suppose a lot of people may now be so pragmatically unprincipled and so desperate and frightened by the stagnation and decline that they could be willing to try anything. Obam-AH' is sure trying to exploit that without revealing what he is and exactly what his "change" would be, which apparently would still be even more frightening to most people if it becomes too explicit before the election. I am frightened by both of them, but like you, more frightened of Obam-AH'. We are already being preyed on by progressive left government thugs in Maine, and that would become worse with their cohorts in power in Washington supporting them in addition to what we can expect from Federal policy itself. This isn't the country I was once taught in school to expect and I don't know where to turn anymore. McCain would certainly be no saviour, but would probably be more survivable in the short term.

I heard on the radio yesterday about one "change" Obama has in mind: a new Peace-Corps-type program to push exclusively environmental and alternative energy projects. Beyond disgusting.

I heard on the radio yesterday about one "change" Obama has in mind: a new Peace-Corps-type program to push exclusively environmental and alternative energy projects. Beyond disgusting.

Which means he wants to pour a lot of taxpayer subsidies into viro activists while promoting them as a moral ideal.

Of course, McCain said that true patriotism means putting your country before yourself. Beyond disgusting.

His exact words: "It is putting the country first, before party or personal ambition, before anything." Paraphrased, "my country, right or wrong."

Here's his entire speech: http://news.yahoo.com/page/parade/patriotism/mccain

Note that he displays a profound misunderstanding of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, who made history precisely by putting principle (i.e. liberty and reason) before their country (i.e. Great Britain).

Of course, McCain said that true patriotism means putting your country before yourself. Beyond disgusting.

They are both beyond disgusting.

While I think Obama will win based on the relative strengths of the Democratic party in this election, I think it will be closer than many people expect. Remember that Obama tends to overpoll, largely because of race. There are a lot of people in the Democratic party who won't vote for an African American, but who won't necessarily tell pollsters that (which explains why Clinton continued to poll fairly well and win some big states even after it became obvious she wouldn't be the nominee). While there are people who will vote for Obama because he's African American, the vast majority of them would have voted Democratic, anyway.

While I think Obama will win based on the relative strengths of the Democratic party in this election, I think it will be closer than many people expect. Remember that Obama tends to overpoll, largely because of race. There are a lot of people in the Democratic party who won't vote for an African American, but who won't necessarily tell pollsters that (which explains why Clinton continued to poll fairly well and win some big states even after it became obvious she wouldn't be the nominee). While there are people who will vote for Obama because he's African American, the vast majority of them would have voted Democratic, anyway.

How do you claim to know this? As presented it is shear speculation. It is hard enough for experts to predict what will happen in a close race near the end of a campaign. This kind of guessing and speculative pronouncement is meaningless.

For those interested, McCain will be releasing a 15-page document tomorrow (Monday) that provides details on his economic plan, the goal of which is to balance the budget in four years. A news story, linked at Drudge, provides excerpts (see here). (This is the second page of the article; the first gives background information on the election).

It's a mix of good and bad, but the good is better than I thought it would be. We'll see which of these issues are ultimately made front and center, which fade, and why.

For those interested, McCain will be releasing a 15-page document tomorrow (Monday) that provides details on his economic plan, the goal of which is to balance the budget in four years. A news story, linked at Drudge, provides excerpts (see here). (This is the second page of the article; the first gives background information on the election).

It's a mix of good and bad, but the good is better than I thought it would be. We'll see which of these issues are ultimately made front and center, which fade, and why.

It will be intersting, as you say, to see which issues are treated as more important than others. The tax cuts that crop up in a couple of places would be very important, the whole "leaning on foreign oil producers" line seems suspicious, and I found this intriguing:

Reforming Washington to regain the trust of taxpayers: “A one-year spending pause. Freeze non-defense, non-veterans discretionary spending for a year and use those savings for deficit reduction. A one-year pause in the growth of discretionary spending will be imposed to allow for a comprehensive review of all spending programs. After the completion of a comprehensive review of all programs, projects and activities of the federal government, we will propose a plan to modernize, streamline, consolidate, reprioritize and, where needed, terminate individual programs.”

Depending on what exactly qualifies as "discretionary spending," how in the world would this get approved by Congress??

It will be interesting to see how things unfold. But for whatever virtues are in McCain's plan, how can we determine what to expect him to drop, to fight for, and to really really fight for?

I've gotten very cynical during both Bush terms in my expectations for candidates to follow through on plans and promises. If both candidates are pragmatists, I don't see much reason to put faith in anything they say during their campaigns, and hence find it hard to find something to really separate them. Certainly some of what they promise they will push for, but it is hard to see exactly what. The last 16 years especially show us that.