Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DGM

A defense of businessmen on TVTropes.com

2 posts in this topic

tvtropes.com (brief explanation of the site here) has a section entitled The War On Straw, which covers specific types of caricatures that are used in strawman arguments. In each subsection, contributers point out specific examples of the caricature type.

I've submitted a proposal to add a "Straw Businessman" section. I bring this up here in case anybody is interested in adding examples to my entry. Just go to this page and, if necessary, do a text search for "Straw Businessman" to find my entry. If you're not sure how to edit it, just tell me here and I can add your submission myself.

I've submitted a proposal to add a "Straw Businessman" section.

I found "There Are No Good Executives." The site gives examples from television and comics, among other media.

As it is, I found out about www.tvtropes.org from a post on ObjectivistLiving. The catalog of tropes --- "these are not cliches" --- is more fun than any literature class I ever took. In fact, it would be interesting to create a set of them for Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. It is not to demean those works, but to reveal how the bricks were laid, so to speak. In other words, as Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell pointed out, myths follow certain patterns and have known elements. Ayn Rand created mythic stories about human achievement and the power of creation. Understanding how is interesting and important.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0