Vespasiano

John McCain: Pseudo-Maverick

29 posts in this topic

I am not the one that started a thread a few months ago about a song that is generally saying "good-bye to America." Give up, I will never give up. I might choose a tactical retreat and rethink my attack, but hell will freeze over before I give up.

To briefly reply, I didn't post that

as my own personal statement. Why it's important is that the composer culturally and educationally hails from the very center of intellectual life of New York City, such as it is now. New York liberals, and liberals generally, no longer sing songs about America, or experience heart-string tugs in connection to this country (except with multicultural toleration as the only thing that excuses this country's vices). But Peter Cincotti, clearly from the center of that milieu, surprisingly chooses America as the subject of his highest artistic effort; and delivers it in a lyrical and highly creative fashion. His song even makes strong references to early American history. I mean there's nothing typical about it. To my mind, he, and his culture are the ones saying goodbye to America, a great old sort of men who were once the heroes of American life, and virtue. It's a beautiful testimony to the past, for him it is a goodbye to the future, but for me a resounding defiance in the present.

I said some people sometimes fish for the worst news possible because I've seen plenty of it previously (not from you), and you've been inquiring by what standard you can judge if America is finally fallen now. Maybe I misunderstood, but I think in a completely different way. I don't want to know if it's "finally fallen", or by which marks we could know if it has. And in the corner of my mind I have vivid examples of just how truly bad countries were in the past, and how little it stopped them from reaching forward and becoming better. So it's not marks by which I can judge decline, that I seek; but instead concrete steps by which I myself will be able to make the most powerful difference possible.

Petarch, the father of modern Europe, wrote this. He lived in the Middle Ages.

I despise what melancholy fate

has brought us, wretches, in these evil years.

Long before my birth, time smiled and may again,

for once there was, and yet will be, more joyful days.

But in this middle age time's dregs

sweep around us, and we bend beneath a heavy

load of vice. Genius, virtue, glory now

have gone, leaving chance and sloth to rule.

Shameful vision this! We must awake or die.

He then proceeded to found all of modern Europe.

Sorry for the delay in posting: I've been enjoying a few, splendiferous days at the beach in Cape May and am only now getting back to my PC.

Here is the third segment of Mr. Cline's assessment of Mr. McCain and his presidential candidacy.

John McCain: Pseudo-Maverick III

In his conclusion, Mr. Cline raises the all-important question to be answered by each individual in determining his course of action this coming November. It reads:

In conclusion, and to paraphrase someone's observation about the current presidential campaign: Barack Obama and the Democrats are pursuing the overthrow of the American Revolution, while John McCain and the Republicans are trying to forget that it had ever happened.

Who is committing the graver treason?

Sorry for the delay in posting: I've been enjoying a few, splendiferous days at the beach in Cape May and am only now getting back to my PC.

Here is the third segment of Mr. Cline's assessment of Mr. McCain and his presidential candidacy.

John McCain: Pseudo-Maverick III

In his conclusion, Mr. Cline raises the all-important question to be answered by each individual in determining his course of action this coming November. It reads:

In conclusion, and to paraphrase someone's observation about the current presidential campaign: Barack Obama and the Democrats are pursuing the overthrow of the American Revolution, while John McCain and the Republicans are trying to forget that it had ever happened.

Who is committing the graver treason?

Vespasiano, thank you for providing all these links. (Yes, Cape May is great!)