Betsy Speicher

WALL·E (2008)

14 votes

1. 1. Artistic Merit

2. 2. Sense of Life or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

This is a tough one. This movie is a lot of fun to watch and beautiful to look at. But, the story is completely anti-human and another in a long line of eco-religionist stories.

Warning: There are spoilers about this movie in this post.

This is a tough one. This movie is a lot of fun to watch and beautiful to look at. But, the story is completely anti-human and another in a long line of eco-religionist stories.

I don't agree with you on that one. Yes, there is this "the world's destroyed by our huge skyscrapers of trash" crap, but that's the setting for the story. There was no blame or guilt at all involved with it, that's just the context in which the story is set. Add to this the tenacious little robot known as WALL-E and you've got yourself a winner. I especially enjoyed the people. Yes, they're all fat and sitting in these chairs and just consuming things, but again that's just the setting. When their visors are removed every single one of the chooses reality over the spaceship. Also, when they get back to Earth they begin to build, create, and start transforming the Earth into an habitable place! It's almost as if the story is about humanity being asleep and how it takes a passionate robot's valued approach to life to wake them. I gave it a nine on sense of life (because there is that viro bull-crap) and an eight on technical merit (another stunning movie from Pixar).

I don't agree with you on that one.

*snip*

Well, that's a very generous interpretation :wacko: I can't know what their intent was.

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

p

a

c

e

Here are my objections:

* There was, at one time, an obviously very advanced culture. The story implies that this culture consumed all of its resources and had to abandon the Earth. This premise is straight out of today's enviro-theists.

* The move attacks "consumerist" culture and middle-american values. The spaceship is like a cruise ship with fat people sitting around pleasuring themselves oblivious to the world around them. Personally, I love cruising and am insulted by the movie's jab.

* The way they worship something "green" (the plant) makes me wretch. Again, this is the dream of the Greens - abandon the Earth destroying technology of today and return to a supposed agricultural eden.

* The theme of the movie is clearly quasi-biblical. One of the main characters is named "Eve" for "godsake".

I haven't read either of your spoilers, because I've yet to see the movie, but I want to inform you both that there is a spoilers tag:

This Is A Spoiler

Technology

:wacko:

* There was, at one time, an obviously very advanced culture. The story implies that this culture consumed all of its resources and had to abandon the Earth. This premise is straight out of today's enviro-theists.

* The move attacks "consumerist" culture and middle-american values. The spaceship is like a cruise ship with fat people sitting around pleasuring themselves oblivious to the world around them. Personally, I love cruising and am insulted by the movie's jab.

* The way they worship something "green" (the plant) makes me wretch. Again, this is the dream of the Greens - abandon the Earth destroying technology of today and return to a supposed agricultural eden.

* The theme of the movie is clearly quasi-biblical. One of the main characters is named "Eve" for "godsake".

Though I can see how this interpretation is possible, I do not believe it to be plausible.

I think the movie is much more an attack on excess and opulence. The people became so lazy, so ingrained in their hedonistic/opulent ways, that they could not even take care of themselves. WALL-E brought life back into the equation for the actual robots-mankind.

I have not seen the movie but I did see an interview with the writer/director Andrew Stanton. In the interview Stanton is praised on how nicely he weaved the plot to include messages on environmentalism. Stanton replies by stating (paraphrasing) that it was not his primary intention, just the logical outcome.

So, I think I will spend my money on something much more worthy of viewing.

All I have to say to those who disagree with me is that I understand your opinion. There is that viro stuff there. I didn't give it a perfect rating because of it. However, the story isn't about environmentalism. It's about a passionate robot who through his unwavering pursuit of his values becomes an example that inspires others to once again pursue their values.

But, the story is completely anti-human and another in a long line of eco-religionist stories.

I have a completely 180 degree opposite perspective from this one. All his life, Wall-E wants nothing more out of himself than to just be more human, an to imitate humans in theier most beautiful and profound form. Humanity, in its perfect and healthiest state, is the highest standard that this movie can conjure up; so that when we face a certain revelation later in the movie, it is not a strike at Humanity with its capital H, but a strike at us for being too fat, slothful and lazy, in comparison to the vigorous, beautiful men from Hello Dolly, whom Wall-E worships. If you think of the character of Wall-E, and how he's more human than most of the human characters, I think you'll agree with me that this is one of the most profoundly human-worshipping movies made in a long time.

If you think of the character of Wall-E, and how he's more human than most of the human characters, I think you'll agree with me that this is one of the most profoundly human-worshipping movies made in a long time.
Yes, and the human ship-captain, sums up the theme saying: “I don’t want to survive, I want to live!